We Removed TOS Boring Mill Table... Mounting Position Is A Must!
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default We Removed TOS Boring Mill Table... Mounting Position Is A Must!

• Before lifting the table:
    • The mounting position has an "M" to be aligned with the scale so you can lift the table.
    • The Cap on the middle of the table must be removed (with 2 bearings: thrust bearing and two-row bearing)
    • 4 Lock Handles and nuts needs to be completely removed
    • Nuts must be marked (individual) because it has its own spacer (don't mix it up).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Yuri, it was very interesting to see somebody doing what I'd call a "proper job ". When ever I removed critical locking rings I always marked an arrow head across the shaft and ring. That gave me a clue when I was re- fitting the ring. I'd also depth micro one to the other and keep the reading safe.

Re-fitting the table looked to be a tricky job, especially with regard to the centre bearings. I would have probably used a 2 ton chain block hung on the crane hook for the finally part of the lowering down. That would make it slightly easier to lower down than using the overhead crane.

Just my two cents worth. It's not really a criticism. Your guys have their way of working that seems to do the job.

Any more videos ?

Regards Tyrone.

3. Likes Stan Canada liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Thanks for that Yuri, it was very interesting. When ever I removed critical locking rings I always marked an arrow head across the shaft and ring. That gave me a clue when I was re- fitting the ring. I'd also depth micro one to the other and keep the reading safe.

Re-fitting the table looked to be a tricky job, especially with regard to the centre bearings. I would have probably used a 2 ton chain block on the crane for the finally part of the lowering down. That would make it slightly easier than using the overhead crane.

Just my two cents worth. It's not really a criticism. Your guys have their way of working that seems to do the job.

Regards Tyrone.
    Those extra steps you took for the reading made it easier to put it back. I would agree with the 2-ton chain block currently no space in the shop so I had to do it in a tricky way.

Thanks Tyrone

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Canada View Post
    Those extra steps you took for the reading made it easier to put it back. I would agree with the 2-ton chain block currently no space in the shop so I had to do it in a tricky way.

Thanks Tyrone
    Hi Yuri, with regard to rigging the table. I've used eye bolts and tee nuts in the past. But I was never really happy, especially with the bigger tables. Eventually we made some slot bars especially for the job. These were usually made out of 2" round EN bar about 12" long. The first 6" were milled to the same shape as the tee slots.

You just slid them in to the tee slots. They were especially handy if you were attempting to turn the table over to work on the under side.

Regards Tyrone.

6. Likes Stan Canada liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Tyrone
    This means different slot size require individual T shape bars?
    Good idea, double safety, bars wont slide in.
    Only thing - you need to do this kind of job often to make it worth to machine special bars.
    thank you for an idea!
    Yury

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Canada View Post
    Hello Tyrone
    This means different slot size require individual T shape bars?
    Good idea, double safety, bars wont slide in.
    Only thing - you need to do this kind of job often to make it worth to machine special bars.
    thank you for an idea!
    Yury
    Hi Yuri, yes it does mean making the slot bars to fit individual tables. We had quite a selection, usually painted in different colours. The company I was working for at the time did a lot of repair work on horizontal and vertical boring machines so they got a lot of use. It's a little bit of effort to make them but I thought it was worth it. You're right about the fact the bars can't slide inwards making them very safe. We needed to turn the tables over quite often to work on the undersides and obviously it's really difficult to do that using eye bolts on the face of the table.

It's the sort of job you can do if the shop is quiet and you have a milling machine doing nothing.

Maybe one for the future ?

Regards Tyrone.

9. Likes Stan Canada liked this post