What's new
What's new

A web app for engineers and machinists, Speed Engineer

laminar-flow

Stainless
Several years ago I conjured up a web app for most mobile devices and most web browsers. It has information useful for engineering and machining. I add to it occasionally and make corrections.

No ads, no cost, just use it.

Hope you like it.

Speed Engineer

Hello laminar-flow,

The site does not work properly in Firefox or IE. This is not a criticism, just an observation. I tried Firefox first, then IE, then Chrome. Seems to work fine in Chrome. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Yes, it does not work with android or FF or IE. I wish I knew more about coding so I could fix it.

I looked at it on an Android but I run and prefer Dolphin as a Web browser not those others already mentioned. Don't exactly know why but I could see it on my S4

Brent

Text positioning is off with Firefox 64.0:
2019-01-03 10_13_37-.png
Seems to be related to the "position: absolute" property of ".smallfield .name"
2019-01-03 10_14_20-.png2019-01-03 10_20_39-C__Users_RCY_Desktop_2019-01-03 10_14_20-.png - Greenshot image editor.png

In your style.css, changing the position property of .smallfield .name from absolute to relative seems to be a quick fix. Should probably do some testing before accepting that, though. See:
2019-01-03 11_08_59-C__Users_RCY_Desktop_style.css (priceupdate) - Sublime Text (UNREGISTERED).png
How are you generating your css files? Having everything on one line like that must be a nightmare to manually edit, even though it works fine.

Attachments

• 2019-01-03 11_08_59-C__Users_RCY_Desktop_style.css (priceupdate) - Sublime Text (UNREGISTERED).png
    2019-01-03 11_08_59-C__Users_RCY_Desktop_style.css (priceupdate) - Sublime Text (UNREGISTERED).png
    2.2 KB · Views: 87
OK, it is changed. Check it and see how it works for you.

css was pasted from a web app site some time ago. How can I put returns in it and have it not fail?

Thanks a bunch for helping me out on this. I'm not very code knowledgeable. I use BB Edit. Spreadsheet has the data that is copied in. The main work was looking up all the data... lots of conflicts in values that had to be determined.

Text looks good now in Firefox and Chrome.

Here's an article showing the common ways people format CSS for readability. CSS doesn't really care about line breaks or spaces.
Different Ways To Format CSS | CSS-Tricks

I usually use what they call the "multi line format", it is very readable to me and helps keep things organized.

I'm not a full-time web dev but I maintain a few very basic sites. Readability of my code is super important as I often revisit projects after weeks, months or years and need to be able to quickly re-learn what is going on. I can imagine copy-pasting from a spreadsheet would be a big hiccup in maintaining nicely readable code, especially because I usually add many comments to my code. I edit CSS with sublime text or notepad++, both of which have nice features for writing code in many languages. Not familiar with BB Edit but glancing at their site it looks like a decent editor.

I tried it in Firefox and got the opening page. But could not find any clickable links to get to the other pages.

So I tried it in Chrome but I got the same results.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I have to enable something?

Edit: Now I see that it is only for mobile devices. So I have to download it there?

Click on the solar spectrum on my home page for a direct link to it and let me know what you see. It seems to work on my chrome. Click on the horizontal bars and it should open up "English Materials" for example.

Carbon, I had to change it back as it was justifying all the text on the left side right next to the material. I only changed the one spot you showed. Should it be changed elsewhere as there were other locations with absolute.

Just saw this and really like the idea. Going to try it out, just the fastener and drill tables are super useful. However it seems like this sort of tool is somewhat specific to industry/project, which may explain some of the limited use by others (eg I'm in aerospace, so I worry about cryo and elevated temp properties a lot, for example). I wonder if anyone has ever made a "customizable machinery's handbook" style app where you can pick and choose what sections to include.

A couple pieces of feedback, I often want to look up material properties by material, rather than by property. It might be nice to have properties by material, a-la how matweb lists them. But of course I usually just go to matweb for quick references.

Have you ever read Foundations of Ultraprecision Mechanism Design? They have a section on material selection tables that are similar to the "stiffness/density" chart you made (but they have some really helpful and cool formulations). That chapter of the text might give you some good inspiration for other ways to present material properties.

I appreciate that you make all these tools and then share them publicly, it's very generous and helpful!

Back