What's new
What's new

Webster Bennet problems

PAULLAP

Plastic
Hi I have purchased a used Webster Bennet 36" Vertical Borer, It has not been used for a few years and everything is a bit tight, I have sorted the lubrication out and it is freeing up, The problem I have is when I am turning the O/D and the face on a 36" dia vast iron plate, I am getting a ribbing efect, You can feel the ribs especialy on the O/D it looks like the feed hesitates. I have another Webster Bennet and it does the same thing on the bore but if i take a very light last cut it goes, But this machine will have none of it. And it is on both axis. Has anyone heard of this before?. If anyone would like to help I could always send a picture.

Thanks Paul

I rebuild one a longtime ago

Hi, I rebuilt a 36" machine several years ago and I recall it has a roll-up feed clutch. Hard to explain but it is like the feed clutch similar to the K&T American made Mills. It has a round ring similar to the inner race of a needle bearing and in the ID there is a part (like the inner race of a bearing that has several (maybe 8) ramped angles at approximately 25 degree's and those have round dowel pins and when the inner part feed spline turns the pins roll up the ramps and grab the inner ring and makes the feed gear turn. Those ramps get burnished mark or little dent in them...or flat spots...and the dowel pin gets caught in the flat spot and that makes the feed clutch grab and un-grab. The customer told me before we fixed it he would have to engage and disengage the feed several times to get it to work and not slip. I also remember on those machines that when you manually turn the chuck (say your indicating a part in) it can only be turned in one direction. If they are manually turned the wrong way you can break a part inside the feed box. Inside the parts and instruction manual in Red warning, I know a used machine dealer in England and I bet he will know someone who can help you. His email is david at wmtg.co.uk .

Are we talking about the "D" type ( the one with the mass of long levers down the operators side ) or are we talking the " DH " type ( the one with the hydraulic console on the operators side ) ?

Have you tried "clocking" the ripples to see how deep they actually are ? Sometimes these things feel really bad but actually aren't very deep at all they just look awful.

Sounds to me like a chuck spindle bearing problem , obviously it appears that the distance between the tool point and the workpiece is varying slightly for some reason. Can't see it being a feed issue in all honesty. Have you tried adjusting the spindle bearings ? Where in the U.K. are you. Regards Tyrone.

Do some of the smaller W&B`s not run the chuck on the casting?

Hi Mark , Do you mean does the chuck run on a circular cast iron slideway ? Yes, the slideway is bolted and dowelled to the main casting. They also have ball and roller bearings on the chuck spindle itself. Over the years they made quite a range of different spindle/chuck designs, high speed , low speed etc. Regards Tyrone.

Webster Bennett

Hi Thanks for the help, I will try to give you a bit more info. It is a 36" vertical, not sure what type. I am havind this problem on both slides vertical and horizontal, The vertical is worse, You can feel it and it looks awfull but very uniform, I get it on my other Webster Bennett but only when I am boring and if I take a very light cut it goes, I have tried a light cut on this one but it does not go. if anyone thinks it would be a help if I sent a picture please private message a email address and I will send one with a picture of the machine if I cabn find one.

Thanks Paul

Hi Thanks for the help, I will try to give you a bit more info. It is a 36" vertical, not sure what type. I am havind this problem on both slides vertical and horizontal, The vertical is worse, You can feel it and it looks awfull but very uniform, I get it on my other Webster Bennett but only when I am boring and if I take a very light cut it goes, I have tried a light cut on this one but it does not go. if anyone thinks it would be a help if I sent a picture please private message a email address and I will send one with a picture of the machine if I cabn find one.

Thanks Paul

You don't know wether it's a D or a DH ?????? Best of luck Tyrone.

HI What does the D or DH stand for and how can tell.

Paul

See post 3 in this thread

Just a freindly heads up, it pays to read all replies carefully ;) and on technical matters, I always listen to Tyrone & Mark McGrath - they know what they're talking about ;)

DH

Hello again, Sorry for being so stupid, It is a DH the one with the Hydraulics down the right hand side.

Paul

Ribbing

Hi They are like rings not a scroll, If you look at them close they are like a series of little humps but very uniform all the same size. I am going to check the tool is below the centre and use a tool with a smaller rad on to see what I get. I will do this today.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paulap, got your personal message. I've attempted a reply. On a scale of 1 to 10 my computer skills are about 1. Good job I know a bit more about machine tools. Not sure what happens next. Regards Tyrone.

Webster Bennett

Ok Chaps, I did a load of tests yesyerday and every thing we did we still had the rings, Changing speeds and feeds just changes the pitch of the rings and several tools made no fifferencew, I then contacted Webster Bennett and it all points towards the Feed Box, So I am going to dive in today and have a look, (I am going to take the cover of).

I will keep you posted

Paul

TYRONE V THE COMPUTER

The ReMatch

This time it's personal!

I know, me and computers just don't get on. I blame the nerdy guys who design these things. The sort of guys I've worked with in the past who love taking machines apart but then get bored and can't be bothered putting them back together again.

Re the problem. Looks like Richard King was right all along. I know the part he was referring to, I thinks it's called the free wheel. It's basically a one way clutch inside the feed box, I think that's the reason W& B didn't want you to turn the chuck backwards at any time. I can see a fault in that would cause an intermitent feed but surely you'd get a sort of pin-stripe type finish instead of a ripple. A photo would have been a great help. Regards Tyrone.

Back