What's new
What's new

Weiler LZ 280 S Vs Emco Maximat V10-P

Spongebob89

Plastic
Hello,
I have found two lathes and I would like an advise about which of the two you would suggest me to buy. The one is a Weiler the model "LZ 280 S" and the other is an Emco the model "Maximat V10-P". The emco I have read on the internet that are rigid machines and accurate and beside that is used most of the times has no wear bed or leadscrew but for the Weiler I didn't find many opinions on the internet.
One major thing for me is the tread cutting in metric and inches (on the emco you change just levers but on the Weiler you have to change gears sometimes).

How to buy change gears for your lathe | making a collet holding nut for the Weiler LZ280
How to buy change gears for your lathe | making a collet holding nut for the Weiler LZ280 - YouTube

Any advices or opinions are welcome.

I have a lz280 and no experience with the emco. The weiler has a variable speed drive which I like. Both lathes are good quality and will most likely serve you well. I would look at availability of parts and accessories locally. The weiler has a threaded spindle nose and I have found only one supplier of back plates here, so you will have to make your own. Mine uses collets directly in the spindle( type f24? Not sure) Other accessories may be hard to find. For threading in inches you will need a 127 tooth gear. If you have any specific questions on the weiler I will try to help. I also have a manual somewhere.

I have a lz280 and no experience with the emco. The weiler has a variable speed drive which I like. Both lathes are good quality and will most likely serve you well. I would look at availability of parts and accessories locally. The weiler has a threaded spindle nose and I have found only one supplier of back plates here, so you will have to make your own. Mine uses collets directly in the spindle( type f24? Not sure) Other accessories may be hard to find. For threading in inches you will need a 127 tooth gear. If you have any specific questions on the weiler I will try to help. I also have a manual somewhere.

Thanks a lot for the reply. If you have the manual in pdf would be very helpful for me. This supplier of back plates has a site? Also it easy to find a used steady rest & follow rest or to adapt a steady rest & follow rest from a different lathe on Weiler LZ280?
Many thanks again for your detailed reply.

I think Weiler is a very high quality machine and too expensive to have been sold in any volume in the USA. In other words, a fine machine that will not have a ready local source of parts and tooling, so you treat it like an antique and learn to make whatever you need. Perhaps there are European (expensive) sources of parts.

I had an Emco Maximat 10P back around 1984 and was very happy to sell it for a small quick profit. It was in my garage in cold weather and the motor did not have enough power to start the spindle turning in high range, but would start in low. It was not a very sturdy machine, though it would do a decent job on small stuff. The first day I had it, I broke the plastic tumbler gears. Plastic gears are not a mark of quality. Back then, I was able to get new gears for it because they sold quite a few Maximats in the USA and there was still a USA dealer. In my experience, Maximats were mostly sold to serious hobbyists and small industrial shops. Locally, I know customers included a steel mill testing department, a hospital maintenance department and a major electronics maker's prototype department. Because of those past sales, you can find some old/used lathes, parts and tooling on eBay. I think there is no source for new chucks and other machine-specific tooling. There are some current Maximat owners on this forum who have probably learned over the years how to get good results and keep their machines running.

Machine Tool Archive Click on Emco and Weiler in the index and you will see a lot of pictures and information. Tony also sells copies of catalogs and manuals.

Larry

Wieler are still in business and sell parts for the lz280. It is 100x the machine any emco in.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Here's specs on the two in case you haven't seen them already:

Emco Emcomat, Maximat & Mentor 7, V7, V7L, V8, 8.4, 8.6 & 10 lathes

Weiler LX260, LZ280 & LZ300 Lathes

There's a fairly active Emco group at: [email protected] | Topics

Can't speak about the Weiler but from the photos it looks much beefier with its cast base, that may or may not be a plus for you.

The V10 has some fiber gears that are prone to break so check it closely. I have it's bigger brother the Super 11 and love it for home shop use, it's a toolroom "quality" machine and if you get the D1-4 spindle you can use 5C collets with an adapter, a major plus for me as most of my turning is 1" and under.

It is strange...but maybe for a deceased estate or infirm relative......However,I have one simple rule for lathes .....if its more than scrap price, I must personally inspect the machine,be able to pay cash on the spot ,and remove all portable accessories /parts/chucks/collets .etc on the spot....In other words leave only bed,saddle and head behind.............its amazing how many sellers suddenly discover that this or that accessory didnt actually belong to them ,and wont be included after you ve paid.

Back