UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Weiler LZ 280 S Vs Emco Maximat V10-P

Hello,
    I have found two lathes and I would like an advise about which of the two you would suggest me to buy. The one is a Weiler the model "LZ 280 S" and the other is an Emco the model "Maximat V10-P". The emco I have read on the internet that are rigid machines and accurate and beside that is used most of the times has no wear bed or leadscrew but for the Weiler I didn't find many opinions on the internet.
    One major thing for me is the tread cutting in metric and inches (on the emco you change just levers but on the Weiler you have to change gears sometimes).

How to buy change gears for your lathe | making a collet holding nut for the Weiler LZ280
    How to buy change gears for your lathe | making a collet holding nut for the Weiler LZ280 - YouTube

Any advices or opinions are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a lz280 and no experience with the emco. The weiler has a variable speed drive which I like. Both lathes are good quality and will most likely serve you well. I would look at availability of parts and accessories locally. The weiler has a threaded spindle nose and I have found only one supplier of back plates here, so you will have to make your own. Mine uses collets directly in the spindle( type f24? Not sure) Other accessories may be hard to find. For threading in inches you will need a 127 tooth gear. If you have any specific questions on the weiler I will try to help. I also have a manual somewhere.

3. Likes Spongebob89 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Piek View Post
    I have a lz280 and no experience with the emco. The weiler has a variable speed drive which I like. Both lathes are good quality and will most likely serve you well. I would look at availability of parts and accessories locally. The weiler has a threaded spindle nose and I have found only one supplier of back plates here, so you will have to make your own. Mine uses collets directly in the spindle( type f24? Not sure) Other accessories may be hard to find. For threading in inches you will need a 127 tooth gear. If you have any specific questions on the weiler I will try to help. I also have a manual somewhere.
    Thanks a lot for the reply. If you have the manual in pdf would be very helpful for me. This supplier of back plates has a site? Also it easy to find a used steady rest & follow rest or to adapt a steady rest & follow rest from a different lathe on Weiler LZ280?
    Many thanks again for your detailed reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't put the lathes in the same class, I've seen both but never used either, however in my book the Weiler wins - hands down.
    Last edited by Limy Sami; 05-11-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: tix fyops

6. Likes Ron Hofer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think Weiler is a very high quality machine and too expensive to have been sold in any volume in the USA. In other words, a fine machine that will not have a ready local source of parts and tooling, so you treat it like an antique and learn to make whatever you need. Perhaps there are European (expensive) sources of parts.

I had an Emco Maximat 10P back around 1984 and was very happy to sell it for a small quick profit. It was in my garage in cold weather and the motor did not have enough power to start the spindle turning in high range, but would start in low. It was not a very sturdy machine, though it would do a decent job on small stuff. The first day I had it, I broke the plastic tumbler gears. Plastic gears are not a mark of quality. Back then, I was able to get new gears for it because they sold quite a few Maximats in the USA and there was still a USA dealer. In my experience, Maximats were mostly sold to serious hobbyists and small industrial shops. Locally, I know customers included a steel mill testing department, a hospital maintenance department and a major electronics maker's prototype department. Because of those past sales, you can find some old/used lathes, parts and tooling on eBay. I think there is no source for new chucks and other machine-specific tooling. There are some current Maximat owners on this forum who have probably learned over the years how to get good results and keep their machines running.

Machine Tool Archive Click on Emco and Weiler in the index and you will see a lot of pictures and information. Tony also sells copies of catalogs and manuals.

Larry

8. Likes Limy Sami, Spongebob89 liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wieler are still in business and sell parts for the lz280. It is 100x the machine any emco in.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Weiler is in an entirely different class from the emco, Weiler are regarded as one of the very best lathes made, suitable for tool room. Weiler still selling machines, and has a USA distributor Home | Monarch Lathes
    Here is a good writeup regarding Weiler from a guy who categorizes and really knows about lathes: Weiler LX260, LZ280 & LZ300 Lathes

the emco you are looking at is a hobby machine, see the writeup Emco Emcomat, Maximat & Mentor 7, V7, V7L, V8, 8.4, 8.6 & 10 lathes

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's specs on the two in case you haven't seen them already:

Emco Emcomat, Maximat & Mentor 7, V7, V7L, V8, 8.4, 8.6 & 10 lathes

Weiler LX260, LZ280 & LZ300 Lathes

There's a fairly active Emco group at: [email protected] | Topics

Can't speak about the Weiler but from the photos it looks much beefier with its cast base, that may or may not be a plus for you.

The V10 has some fiber gears that are prone to break so check it closely. I have it's bigger brother the Super 11 and love it for home shop use, it's a toolroom "quality" machine and if you get the D1-4 spindle you can use 5C collets with an adapter, a major plus for me as most of my turning is 1" and under.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stahl Futterflansch (Rohling) O 160 mm fur Weiler LZ280 - RCFFLZ280-160 | Futterflansche | RCM-PRODUKTION | RC Machines Luxembourg
    Home | Machinehandel Bos. A.G Steenwijk
    The bottom link is for a company that has a lot of parts available(expensive but good), but due to age he will be ending his business mid-2022.
    Nice to read that most people find the weiler a better machine!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question

Do you know which model is this... it seems like the model LZ 280 but I am not sure and the seller that I asked told me that he don't know which model is (kind of strange I think).

https://i.postimg.cc/kG6zvMKS/Screen...-14-060303.jpg

Only these specs gave me:
    Distance Between Centers: 750mm
    Spindle Max Speed: 2000RPM
    Center Height: 140mm

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is strange...but maybe for a deceased estate or infirm relative......However,I have one simple rule for lathes .....if its more than scrap price, I must personally inspect the machine,be able to pay cash on the spot ,and remove all portable accessories /parts/chucks/collets .etc on the spot....In other words leave only bed,saddle and head behind.............its amazing how many sellers suddenly discover that this or that accessory didnt actually belong to them ,and wont be included after you ve paid.

15. Likes Spongebob89 liked this post