What's new
What's new

weird size old balls from open type thrust bearing

metalmagpie

Titanium
I'm working on restoring an old camelback drill press. There is a thrust bearing on my spindle. It is a 3-part bearing. The outside 2 pieces just look like washers. The middle is like a washer only with several holes. In those holes go bearing balls. Pretty routine except mine is missing like six of the balls and the balls measure 0.3084". I cannot find anyone who sells bearing balls in this size. I have lots of 5/16" bearing balls which are only a few thou larger but I don't think they would work well because that's almost exactly the size of the holes so those bearings touch on all sides albeit not too tightly. No metric size is close either.

I may be able to source an entire replacement thrust bearing but it sure would be nice to find some balls that work.

I haven't tested the "ball plate" for hardness yet. If it were soft, I could ream them a bit larger and use 5/16" balls.

Ideas?

metalmagpie

I'm working on restoring an old camelback drill press. There is a thrust bearing on my spindle. It is a 3-part bearing. The outside 2 pieces just look like washers. The middle is like a washer only with several holes. In those holes go bearing balls. Pretty routine except mine is missing like six of the balls and the balls measure 0.3084". I cannot find anyone who sells bearing balls in this size. I have lots of 5/16" bearing balls which are only a few thou larger but I don't think they would work well because that's almost exactly the size of the holes so those bearings touch on all sides albeit not too tightly. No metric size is close either.

I may be able to source an entire replacement thrust bearing but it sure would be nice to find some balls that work.

I haven't tested the "ball plate" for hardness yet. If it were soft, I could ream them a bit larger and use 5/16" balls.

Ideas?

metalmagpie

Get balls close enough and make a race. Done all the time.

Even if the ball carrier is hard, you can use a flap of wet-or-dry sandpaper around a mandrel to take off a thou or so. That should allow use of 5/16" bearing balls.

Just clean things well. Maybe even that's not an issue with such an old machine... ;)

Ideas?

metalmagpie

See jhruska, post #6. His "Plan B" should really be Plan A.

The OEM one wasn't just "primitive", it was not even very good as "primitive" goes in its own era!

:D

mr termite, there is this issue, about you accusing "me" and "Machtool" of stealing your photos, going bezerk, and telling outrageous lies in the Axelson thread, that needs you immediate attention!...thank you.

mr termite, your stolen photos are again causing the Medusa symptoms of those that see them go bezerk and tell outrageous lies about you, you are needed in the Axelson thread, even though you have an Axelson lathe shoved up your ass, just waddle over and tend to the problem. thank you.

Back