What's new
What's new

Welding Mic6 cast Plate to 5052

doug925

Titanium
I have an application where the customer would like to weld some 1/8" thick 5052 that has been rolled into a drum shape, to some 3/4" thick machined Mic6 36" diameter disks.
The welds will not be seen, don't have any weight against them, and are not critical to any purpuse, other then just holding them together.

Can it be done?
These will end up looking like a cable spool. The most important part about the weld, is that it needs to be done with a low enough temp for 3/4" thick disks not to warp. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

DOug.

If I remember correctly Mic 6 is not considered a weldable aluminium. Although I don't remember for which reason. In some applications it may be ok.

It should be weldable without having to input too much heat into the whole piece. Depends on if you need a weld all around the circumference or if you can get away with 2" tacks every few inches around. Does it need to be leak proof?

The unweldable aluminum alloys are the ones with copper or large amounts of silicon or both. MIC-6 tooling plate has a fair amount of silicon

Here is what Euramax says about welding:

WELDING
MiC-6 can be welded, but great care must be taken to avoid cracking. Welding is not recommended where strength or pressure is likely to be critical in the weld area. If the plate is to be welded the MIG method is preferred to TIG in order to minimise heat input. The volume of inert gas should not be allowed to drop below 40–50 cfm, to prevent oxidation. Experimental welds will best determine the production standard.
http://www.euramax.co.uk/pdfs/euramax_cast_aluminium_leaflet.pdf

Back