What's new
What's new

Welding skin protection

no704

Aluminum
Friend of mine works as a structural welder. Mig welding street lamp poles etc. wears a full hood with leathers , zink oxide, #13 lens. Every time I see him at happy hour he looks like he has a sunburn.
What else can he do to protect himself?
Thanks.

Sunscreen and dark color shirts. If I wear white or grey I fry, too reflective.

Sometimes the lighter shade of leather jackets will reflect enough to burn neck and face.

How many other welders are in the shop? If his hood is up and two guys next to him are welding he is getting a "sun tan". Even if they are across the room, a little bit at a time day in and day out will add up. I do not like welding with other welders, this is one reason.

I'm sure you "special friend" can ask on here all by themselves,
if they feel it's a problem needing solved.

Don't poke your nose in where it don't belong.

I was being bothered by reflected light from inside the hood. Even with #5 lenses in welding safety glasses and a #12 lens in the hood. I looked around for something to absorb light. Seems a special kind of black velvet (not the shit you drink), is highly recommended in photography studios for light absorption: Fidelio Velvet Black 1000 available on Amazon. I bought a yard and cut and glued these pieces into my welding helmet and this stuff works! No joke, I don't need the dark safety glasses, clear lenses are fine and no eye fatigue.

I don't know what makes this so special, but all the reviews I read, these pro photogs claimed it just plain sucks the light out of a room.

Getting side flashes as well as reflected light is common in the trade. It is a matter of being careful and proactive. Some people never give it a thought. I have seen careless people with actual blisters.
Production welding has more light hazards than working alone in an outside open area. The sunburn if cause by welding light will be specific to certain areas not covered: The vee of the neck if collar is not buttoned, at wrists or upper arms if there is a gap between gauntlets and sleeves, back of neck if light is reflected off another surface of someone welding behind him.
Welding lamp posts likely would be fast paced and use bare wire feed. Smoke from flux core or stick welding diffuses the light more.

Nowadays burns are the most common injury to welders. Welding arcs are very intense and harmful can cause burns to the skin and eyes. To prevent workplace accidents and mishaps, workers have to follow some safety measures. Workers have to wear fire resistant clothing, safety glasses, shoes, gloves, helmet and leathers. You can protect your back by using a hood. Make sure that all fabric resistants to heat, spark and flame. It is also necessary to wear safety glasses even you are wearing a helmet and avoid synthetic clothes. Moreover, you can also make your workplace safer by welding curtains.

Nowadays burns are the most common injury to welders. Welding arcs are very intense and harmful can cause burns to the skin and eyes. To prevent workplace accidents and mishaps, workers have to follow some safety measures. Workers have to wear fire resistant clothing, safety glasses, shoes, gloves, helmet and leathers. You can protect your back by using a hood. Make sure that all fabric resistants to heat, spark and flame. It is also necessary to wear safety glasses even you are wearing a helmet and avoid synthetic clothes. Moreover, you can also make your workplace safer by welding curtains.

Tag-Team-Spamming.....Wow

new OP does the setting up, and the spammer comes in to save the day.

Back