What's new
What's new

Wells Index 747 Stuck Quill

LanierKnives

Plastic
I recently bought an old Wells Index mill for what a thought was a pretty good price. When I picked it up I checked the gibs and ways of the table and knee, but silly me didn’t even check the Quill itself. Anyways.. it won’t go up or down. I’m new to mills and I don’t know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. I’ll try to upload some pictures of it in a moment.

Thanks,
Seth

BB47CC2D-4F10-4819-B7AA-DB2A0F1EDDF3.jpg

Welcome aboard, Seth!

I also have a 747, but I don't know what the problem could be. I would suggest moving all the levers, it may have the power downfeed engaged.

At least Index is still in business. Give them a call, I'm sure they can help you.

Yeah, I went through all the levers and read the Owner’s manual. No help there. Might resort to disassembling the whole head. It probably needs to be disassembled and cleaned up anyways.

Yes, when I found an Index Mill I was happy to purchase it because they are still in business.

I'll second what eKretz said. It's really a pretty simple design and there is not a whole lot to impede the quills movement so make sure the quill lock is off and put the spindle feed in neutral.

-Ron

I did what y'all suggested and still didn't get any movement in the quill. The clamp is off (up position from what I understand), and the switch above the quill is set on "N". Looks like I'll have my hands full during my time off work this week.

Wrong feed lever. The one you want is right above the clamp lever. That's the one that engages/disengages feed. Having the other lever in "N" just means that one can feed the spindle with the handwheel rather than power feed. The spindle will still seem to be locked if you try to move it with the side handle and the feed is engaged.

20191223_094438.jpg

Wrong feed lever. The one you want is right above the clamp lever. That's the one that engages/disengages feed. Having the other lever in "N" just means that one can feed the spindle with the handwheel rather than power feed. The spindle will still seem to be locked if you try to move it with the side handle and the feed is engaged.

View attachment 273163
This picture helped!!

The previous owner must have broken the handle and replaced it with a bolt. I didn't notice till now. Wow! I attached a picture below to show.
Index 0191223_161951302_iOS_LI.jpg

The quill moves up and down now, but it clicks when moving in either direction. It clicks like it was part of a ratcheting system or something like that.

Here is a YouTube video to show the clicking.
YouTube

The quill moves up and down now, but it clicks when moving in either direction. It clicks like it was part of a ratcheting system or something like that.

Pull down further on the feed engagement lever, it is not fully disengaging the feed mechanism. That is the gear teeth clicking you hear.

It may just be gummed up in there from lack of use or old grease. Easy to take off the cover and inspect/clean.

Pull down further on the feed engagement lever, it is not fully disengaging the feed mechanism. That is the gear teeth clicking you hear.

It may just be gummed up in there from lack of use or old grease. Easy to take off the cover and inspect/clean.
And that’s the final piece to the puzzle! Thanks for helping a newbie! I appreciate all the help from you all!

Another thing. The previous owner must have lost of broke the drawbar. So he replaced it with a piece of galvanized all thread with two nuts on it about 7” down. I have no ideas where to get a correct replacement drawbar. I contacted Wells about it and they told me they sell the replacement part for $100. Seems pretty steep. Anybody got a better/cheaper place to get a new one? What’s the dimensions of the one I need?

Thanks,
Seth

$100 for a properly made drawbar seems pretty reasonable to me. It will be heat treated to the proper level and made to a tailored fit... you might try a WTB ad here in the buy/sell section and see if anyone has a parts machine.

You have a "modern" Wells Index! Mine is a Wells 55 and I love it. Solid mill, just takes more time to make parts. But I am retired and have nothing but time. Good luck with the Quill.

$100 for a properly made drawbar seems pretty reasonable to me. It will be heat treated to the proper level and made to a tailored fit... you might try a WTB ad here in the buy/sell section and see if anyone has a parts machine.

I only have the prices on McMaster-Carr to compare to. The one labeled for the Index mill is like $60 IIRC.

Back