Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wells Index 845 clutch quill feed adjustment

I just completely rebuilt the head on my 845 and I can't seem to get the clutch adjustment right. Can't seem to get it to disengage. 845 and 847 are identical other then the head from what I can see and what Marty at Wells Index said. The engage/disengage lever may be the issue but it sure looks like I assembled it right. I attached some photos and the diagram from the manual. Any input appreciated.

img_2790.jpgwells-index-head-assembly-marked-up.jpgimg_2788.jpgimg_2666.jpgimg_2657.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does the clutch lever plunger move freely?

Other than that I can't see anything wrong from the pic.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too much grease used? Just an WAG

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog View Post
    I just completely rebuilt the head on my 845 and I can't seem to get the clutch adjustment right. Can't seem to get it to disengage. 845 and 847 are identical other then the head from what I can see and what Marty at Wells Index said. The engage/disengage lever may be the issue but it sure looks like I assembled it right. I attached some photos and the diagram from the manual. Any input appreciated.
    Interesting coincidence. I have been working on the same exact part on my 847 over the past 2 days. I just got it working yesterday. I'll add some pics and vids of mine via a google photos album. I noticed you weren't showing the spring in your parts layout. Do you have it? It's an important part of the overall engagement/disengagement. The attached pic shows the correct orientation of the parts in the feedlock housing. The video in this album should give you a good sense of the behavior to expect. You actually need to push up a bit more firmly than you might expect if you haven't done it before and aren't used to it yet.
    Wells Index autofeed engagement clutch - Google Photos

The spring above the feed engage dog is vital to get it to slide down capturing the feed engagement latch then when the quill reaches the endstop, it presses down on the lever underneath the mechanism which presses up on the feed trip spaces and in turn on the feed engage dog to release it. Keep in mind that the feed engagement latch is what is pressing the brass clutch lever (wishbone shaped piece) over. That was specifically what I didn't realize because I couldn't push that in by hand so until I got the whole mechanism back together and felt how much pressure was needed, it finally all made sense.

Put lots of grease back on everything and good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails autofeed-diagram.jpg  

5. Likes MetalCarnage liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by paulymorph View Post
    Interesting coincidence. I have been working on the same exact part on my 847 over the past 2 days. I just got it working yesterday. I'll add some pics and vids of mine via a google photos album. I noticed you weren't showing the spring in your parts layout. Do you have it? It's an important part of the overall engagement/disengagement. The attached pic shows the correct orientation of the parts in the feedlock housing. The video in this album should give you a good sense of the behavior to expect. You actually need to push up a bit more firmly than you might expect if you haven't done it before and aren't used to it yet.
    Wells Index autofeed engagement clutch - Google Photos

The spring above the feed engage dog is vital to get it to slide down capturing the feed engagement latch then when the quill reaches the endstop, it presses down on the lever underneath the mechanism which presses up on the feed trip spaces and in turn on the feed engage dog to release it. Keep in mind that the feed engagement latch is what is pressing the brass clutch lever (wishbone shaped piece) over. That was specifically what I didn't realize because I couldn't push that in by hand so until I got the whole mechanism back together and felt how much pressure was needed, it finally all made sense.

Put lots of grease back on everything and good luck.
    Thanks for the input.Sent you a PM.