What's new
What's new

wells index millmot

last rites

Plastic
i found a 837 wells index mill, from pics it looks to be in good condition, however motor is off for transport, little concerned maybe his excuse to hide something. i know its an import but other than that what am i getting into. what is the taper, any specific area i should take a better look at to inspect,

i found a 837 wells index mill, from pics it looks to be in good condition, however motor is off for transport, little concerned maybe his excuse to hide something. i know its an import but other than that what am i getting into. what is the taper, any specific area i should take a better look at to inspect,

No. As far as I know every Wells Index has always and still IS made in the USA.. And I don't care if you buy an import machine, there is some decent stuff out there. But I have a soft spot in my brain for Wells Index.

I've still got a CNC700 out here. An 847 I believe with a Bandit control. '78 or '79... She hasn't
made a penny in years, but she's still got a place in my heart.. I cut my milling teeth on her.

Pick up the phone and call Wells Index. After you get past the secretary, you will talk to Rick Robison.
He probably built your machine and will be able to tell you everything about it. He's a super nice guy,
and if I had the money to waste, I would absolutely buy a brand new Wells Index from them..

Things change.

Unless I'm mistaken Rick has retired from Wells Index.
A very recent invoice from them shows "McLaren Automation & Machine Tool LLC DBA Wells Index"
About Us — McLaren CNC

The 747 is an imported machine except with a US made ram and head fitted to it.
The 847 is still an entirely US made machine.
I'm sure of this after several conversations with them about their new milling machine offerings.

To the original poster I don't know much about an 837, you might call Wells Index for details.
The spindle taper (for the normal Wells index heads) could be R8, NMTB30, or I believe one or perhaps 2 different quick change systems. NMTB40 was/is also an option but the entire female taper part of the spindle hangs out past the last bearing, it'd be obvious if you saw it.

That's what it looks like... but call them and ask.
It was confusing to me as well.

Perhaps things have changed in the last two months?

Wells did sell import machines for a while, 1980s I think, attempting to compete with the cheaper machines. They look completely different from the American made machines, nothing interchanges. I believe the 837 is one of those imports. I've seen them, nothing especially nice or terrible about them but I doubt you'll be able to get repair parts - A call to Wells Index is in order if you are interested in it.

111.jpg

Back