What's new
What's new

Is Wells Index quill handle mounting the same as a Bridgeport?

I saw you are looking for a knee handle also.This is what I did when we got tired of the stock handles. I did this on 2 machines. I like the triple knob handle for the quill when drilling. The knee handle is 9" diameter off a Van Norman, it's much handier for small moves and easier to crank than the Wells handle.

333.jpg 222.jpg 111.jpg 444.jpg

I notice most Wells Index's don't have the quill feed handwheel. Mine doesn't. But the manual shows it. Do people take them off or?

If I did have it, would it allow me to slow feed my quill?

Nice idea Mud, it's not hard to crank the knee with the smaller handle? I haven't yet had a handle for mine at all so no idea how it cranks yet.

As regards the quill feed handwheel, yes you can hand feed with it as slowly as you like. Just leave the feedrate selector in N and engage the feed, then turn the wheel. Mine is also missing, I'll just make one I expect.

Last edited:
eKretz - I found an extra quill handle you can have for $10 if you want it. It's bent, and bent the wrong way. should be easy to fix and I believe the rod is threaded into the casting if you want to replace it.
I also found an elevation wheel like the one I posted in your other thread. It was on another machine that I sold but I doubt I'll need it again so I'd sell it for $60 if you are interested.
I found a handwheel for the fine quill feed but I can't sell it unless I find another, this might be a spare but I'm not sure until I find the original for my current last machine. (I don't keep it on the machine for the same reason as everyone else, It's just in the way.)

111.jpg 222.jpg

I do very much appreciate the offer Mud, thanks, but I have already ordered one of the HQT handles that Ray linked and will make an adapter. As for the knee elevating situation, I'm still thinking on what I want to do there. The machine is still awaiting some things to be cleared out so it can be moved into its final place, so no rush ATM. On the plus side I was able to test the readouts the other day and they are working perfectly. And I have a power drawbar that's just been sitting that I will probably add to the machine so that I can use 30 taper adapters that aren't QC compatible.

Well...I decided to try the wheel-on-knee idea. I ordered a 10" wheel from ebay from a Warner Swasey machine. I measured the 'stock' arm and it's around 6" rad so a 5" rad won't lose too much leverage, I hope.wells ws.jpg

It's kinda funny how they would make a 'universal' sort of handle that mates up with a bunch of mills - but they omit the mill that is by far the best mill of them all.

After some interminable delays by UPS...I finally had all the pieces needed to add the Van Norman 10" wheel. The results? Good! The 'down' cranking is much faster and the 'up' is also faster (though maybe a little harder than before?). The wheel has a nice weight to it that the old lever arm didn't, and it's not cantilevered out from the pivot point, either. Thanks, Mud!Wells VN.jpg

Back