What's new
What's new

What type og tool Steel?

VikingD

Plastic
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

I need to make a custom cutting tool, in the style of an indexable helical endmill. What type of tool steel should I use, and what sort of heat treatment should I go for?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

I need to make a custom cutting tool, in the style of an indexable helical endmill. What type of tool steel should I use, and what sort of heat treatment should I go for?

Silver steel [USA drill rod], O1 tool steel or HSS. Heat treat 64 Rockwell scale C, you could heat treat the silver steel yourself if you have the facilities.

Tony

What material will you be cutting with this? How long does it have to last? T-15 or M-2 if it sees severe/long duty. If it's Al. or brass then O-1 can work for a once/twice use. You may even want to consider making a cutter for roughing and one for finishing if it's warranted. Better descriptions get better answers.

I second the M2 comment. It is
Recommended by Bohler to be used for milling bodies, and all sorts of cold work tools too.

Silver steel [USA drill rod], O1 tool steel or HSS. Heat treat 64 Rockwell scale C, you could heat treat the silver steel yourself if you have the facilities.

Tony

Is this a body holding inserts or will it be cutting? If the tool will be cutting, than M-2 (63-65RC)is a good choice. (Limited use with low cutting speed you could use O-1).
If it serves as a body holding inserts than O-1 is ok.
O-1 tool steel at 64RC will most likely shatter on first try. You need to draw it down to 59-61RC.
Light cherry red, quench in oil, clean and draw to light brown-brown.

Back