What's new
What's new

Wellsaw bandsaw gearbox

Leigh B

Cast Iron
Anyone know of a source for used parts for a Wellsaw bandsaw? Not much on flea-bay. The brass bull gear on my W-20 is stripped and the only option from Wellsaw is to replace the entire Dumore dc motor/gearbox assembly with a conversion kit at $991. That’s more than I paid for the entire saw!

What you paid for the saw has little to do with the cost of repairing it, IMO. Consider the bargain price of the saw as the means whereby it makes economic sense to spend some good coin on an upgrade. Then, you know what you've got.

I spent $6000 on an old cnc lathe and spent $60k upgrading it. I wasn't crying about it :D Spindle bearings alone were $4k.

381BC222-358A-4FA2-979E-83A00EE314B0.jpgA85B5015-CB06-42E9-8FF6-7D9A520706E1.jpg

A couple pics and a few numbers. I’ll have to go back into my long forgotten text books to speak intelligently about gear measures but here are a few numbers.
OD of the worm gear - 2.625, 59 teeth.
OD of the worm - .983, 6 starts

Not to say the king has no clothes, but although there is visible wear that brass gear looks serviceable to me. I rebuilt a cold saw once and its brass worm gear was way worse than that one.

metalmagpie

View attachment 244179View attachment 244180

A couple pics and a few numbers. I’ll have to go back into my long forgotten text books to speak intelligently about gear measures but here are a few numbers.
OD of the worm gear - 2.625, 59 teeth.
OD of the worm - .983, 6 starts

I've made a lot of wormwheels to repair saws like this. I don't recall ever making that one in particular but any gear shop should be able to copy it way cheaper than $900.00

The pics don’t show the wear in the center where the contact is very well. It looses mesh and there isn’t a way to shim the axis closer together. It’s a Dumore gear motor so I called them. No parts and they don’t even have documentation for a motor made in the 70’s. I talked to thier engineering department hoping to find an old print or bill of materials that would call out the gear. No luck. So it’s looks like I’m on my own to come up with a worm drive to replace this one.

Did you look around on ebay to see if you can find a similar gearmotor that is adaptable?

I have a wellsaw model 8 I think and have bought parts from wellsaw on several occasions. Good people generally.

I’ve been searching eBay for parts, nothing yet. Wellsaw has a retrofit to a current model gear motor drive, but it’s $991. Which is too much when all I need is a new gear.

Rather than replace the wheel, replace the worm and make the pitch diameter larger.

Also, since the worm is cantilevered, double check the play in the quill bearings. If they are loose you will lose engagement.

FFDDD7F1-F9CB-4033-9656-9B542651C98D.jpg

Thanks gbent some good thoughts on the cantilever effect. The bearings are tight. I’ll have to put it all back together to check to see if the armature bearings hold the worm tight. The wheel shaft is held on both ends so it shouldn’t be moving. Maybe this pic will show the wheel wear better. The tooth tops are worn to a point where the engagement is.
Gbent, you may not recall but I stopped and picked up a couple horizontal milling cutters IIRC, on one of my trips to K State to visit my daughter. By the way you stole our (NDSU)football coach!

Thanks for the reminder, thats been a couple of years. As for the coach, when I attended the football team couldn't win a scrimmage against themselves. Hopefully the new coach will enjoy similar success but I grew up used to gridiron futility.

Often a worm wheel will still work when its so worn you can hardly see the tooth stubs as long as the worm is held solid.

I finally got to the right guy at Wellsaw and have a replacement gear on the way. I guess not everyone at Wellsaw knows where to find the unlisted part numbers! $283, much better than the $991.
I contacted Zahnrad Kopf, he offered to make one but i elected to buy the off the off the shelf one.
The armature bearings are a bit rough, May as well replace them while I have it apart.

Back