What's new
What's new

Wet Blasting Who uses it?

I just got a Zero BNP250 wet blast cabinet with some other things. The fan motor is dead and I am going through the other parts and pieces. Before I get too far into this how useful is this cabinet and what is its higher calling?

I have dry blast cabinets and understand these are for light finishing opps, in general shop use when and where is this a preferred process.

Steve

I just got a Zero BNP250 wet blast cabinet with some other things. The fan motor is dead and I am going through the other parts and pieces. Before I get too far into this how useful is this cabinet and what is its higher calling?

I have dry blast cabinets and understand these are for light finishing opps, in general shop use when and where is this a preferred process.

Steve

Many years ago in my "salad days" I worked at what was then North American Aviation - Rocketdyne Division assembling rocket engines. In the shop they had a wet-blasting machine that was called a "vapor hone". It used very fine glass particles along with high pressure water. I recall that it gave a very fine finish and tended not to remove any metal, unlike a regular dry-blasting cabinet.

When I used one, the parts came out very clean with no damage to them. I think it is in general a gentler process than regular dry blasting.

JMO.

I had a pretty big Hydro-Hone for several years. It's a love-hate relationship ....

On non-ferrous materials, the finish is superb, far better than dry blasting. It makes stuff beautiful.

Also, the beads form a slurry in the hopper which is pumped up to the nozzle - there's none of that siphon stuff. When you blast wet, you're blasting. You gotta hang onto the parts, it's like a water hose with pretty good pressure. It doesn't take off a lot of metal, like silicon carbide does, but it's no slouch at removing crud.

Except you don't want to remove crud, because it all goes into the slurry and doesn't get filtered out like in a dry blaster. So you only want to blast fairly clean stuff.

If you ever blast anything ferrous, it will rust before you can get the doors open on the cabinet to take it out, and even if you wd-40 or dip the parts instantly, it seems that the water permeates the metal and you can't get away from surface rust.

You have to maintain the machine more than a dry blaster, if you don't kick on the pump every once in a while, the slurry turns to a solid then you have to get in there with a crowbar or something to break it up. And the tank has a tendency to rot out, you have to keep some trim-sol or something in there for anti-rust measures.

But the finish is beautiful.

One kinda fun thing for me ... the Kerner Company was right down the street, I used to do little stuff for them occasionally, mostly small gears for their cameras. One day they brought in these things that were obviously robot arms to blast. They wouldn't say what they were, but mama din't raise no total fool.

Several months later went to The Empire Strikes Back with this girl with the high-output performance package. Halfway through I'm like "wait ! wait ! I know those ! they're only eighteen inches tall !" Everybody was "shut up, you ass !" but it was like meeting an old friend.

Legs for the empire walkers .... but they model-railroad weathered them after the blasting, raw hydro-honed looks much nicer than that.

Did I mention the finish is beautiful ?

Many years ago in my "salad days" I worked at what was then North American Aviation - Rocketdyne Division assembling rocket engines. In the shop they had a wet-blasting machine that was called a "vapor hone". It used very fine glass particles along with high pressure water. I recall that it gave a very fine finish and tended not to remove any metal, unlike a regular dry-blasting cabinet.

When I used one, the parts came out very clean with no damage to them. I think it is in general a gentler process than regular dry blasting.

JMO.

Thanks,

I think I mentioned this before, I lived down the street from Rocketdyne on Victory when I was a kid early 1960's. I remember the F1 tests. Sad to see what became of that place.

This blast cabinet came out of a turbine repair shop, I knew it was a delicate process. Thanks for the insight.

Steve

According to my wife of 52 years, I wet blast everything around the toilet every morning. At my age, sometimes, it's just easier to sit down.

I saw a hilarious hand-sewn thing on the wall in the bathroom at the house of a friend of my mother's many years ago. It said:

"If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seatie"

:D

To further the toilet humor,

In the bathroom of the Elk City Ok airport, "pilots with low manifold pressure, make short approaches"

Steve

Seen in a few small airport mens rooms…."Those with short pitot tubes or low manifold pressure, please taxi up close"

I have a mini cabinet from Vapor Honing Technologies. They recommend glass beads. IIRC it was a pound of beads to a gallon of water. (Yeah, mixed weight and volume units. 😒)

Back