What's new
What's new

Whacheon 17x40 Lathe?

Well, "never been crashed" is a matter of faith, but ... if this machine were local to me, I would be sorely tempted assuming it all checked out OK.

Regards.

Mike

Those are GREAT lathes, I use one every day, Solid, smooth as a gravy sandwich, built like a brick shithouse and accurate as well I was turning 5.5" 8620 on it today, .3 DOC .010 / Rev, cut it like butter. The only thing that sucks is that lever low on the left is the lead screw reverse, spindle must be stopped to change it and it is in about as inconvenient a location as possible. Buy it, you will love it.

if the 40" z travel isn't a problem, i would seriously consider it. just from the condition of the paint, it seems that coolant wasn't involved . a factory or
production machine could have a rotten apron or headstock if it were run w/
coolant .

choose wisely.

those are wonderful lathes... a joy to use. quiet as a drillpress, but plenty
of grunt. $30k+ new with no tooling.
good luck

We picked up a used one and we love it. As stated above some lever placement is odd but it runs like a Swiss watch has plenty of power and is accurate. Think we paid around ten grand.

Thanks all. Talked to a previous owner of the lathe and apparently it has some issues. I'll pass on this one.

My brother and I saw a Webb lathe yesterday, identical I guess to Wacheon, very nice lathe that was sold for $5K. I wished I had gotten to it for that price before someone else did.
But the old guy who has it waiting for the buyer to pick it up bought it for $500!

Seems a local business had it and several other machines in a shed and a sudden 2' snow load crushed the roof down on it, and they had to sell the machines, they took the offered $500. :crazy:
The old guy brought it home, replaced some broken handles, and cleaned some very light rust from some exposed steel. I couldn't tell it had ever been under a crushed roof.

I know there are deals like that out there, because I saw it this weekend.

MRI Auctions | PUBLIC ONLINE AUCTION SALE - SURPLUS ASSETS TO THE ONGOING NEEDS OF NEWPORT CORPORATION lots
Since this is right next door to me, I went over Friday, and kicked some tires, the Whacheon looks ok, the Mori, less so the Hardinge's are pretty beat. A pristine Lagun Mill, but not for sale and the auction guy told me: "oh the Bridgeport we have-beat-is a much better Mill-Ok-but we are not selling the Lagun" . Right now the Mori and the Whacheon are at little over a grand, the auction ends on Wed. so we will see what they go for...I probably won't bid as I am set up pretty good, although...a cherry Monarch-Lodge & Shipley, something like that I would not mind having. There was no power so who knows ?
Buyer beware, but at the right price, but remember the auction house gets 18% plus California Sales tax, of about 8%, not sure if out of state residents have to pay the CA tax, but moving it etc. all adds up

Back