What all are the methods used for pipeline integrity? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    cole, what steel is currently used for pipelines? some bainitic stuff?
    Line pipe is going to be API-5L, station pipe is all over the board. It's been a while since I've read through it. Lemme see what it says.

You wondering about laminations in the pipe?

Here's the chemical comp table for 5L, nothing in the doc mentions bainite or bainitic and I'm not enough of a chem whiz to really know. However, this link talks about it- https://ojs.ugent.be/SCAD/article/download/742/730/0

Reading through, it appears to be only in the higher pipe grades like X70 and up. We do our damndest to keep our pipe strengths at X65 (x65 means that the SMYS ((specified minimum yield strength)) is of 65ksi or higher) and below. The lower SMYS pipes require additional wall thickness to arrive at a given MAOP but are MUCH more forgiving with respect to delicate heating precautions as well as damage control. Unfortunately pipe is largely bought by weight alone, meaning it's more expensive to go thicker.

capture2.jpg

2. Likes 4GSR, dian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the rare times that a spam posting produces interesting information...

4. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking from my own experience in knowing people who own pipeline companies, they seem to do a lot of good.

For example, running an undergound pipeline across some ranch....the rancher doesn't even know it's under there once it's done. What's in it for him? It's common for the pipeline company to 'show courtesy' to the property owner...in the case I am thinking of, the pipeline company said (in less harsh terms), "By law, we don't owe you anything. But we're going to have a crew out here for a few months with heavy equipment, and if there's anything you'd like done we could probably help out."

The ranch house was at the end of a long driveway of about 3/8 mile. It was a constant chore to keep the gravel graded and pothole-free. After a few words, the pipeline company re-graded the whole driveway 2-3 feet higher (for better run-off which solved the pothole issue) and they a couple culverts. Last, they poured a big, wide concrete entryway that allowed the rancher to add a stone entry/gate to his place.

So thanks to the pipeline, his life was improved and his property value was increased. He was 110% OK with it. That is one example of many I know of. People get free stock tanks / fishing ponds built, grading, etc. That doesn't sound like much but when you own a chunk of land those things become significant costs if you set out to do them yourself.

6. Likes 4GSR, steve45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another benefit to pipelines is they provide fuel that we all use to drive around. That includes the people who traffic in drugs (marijuana, cocaine, meth, heroin, etc.)...so the next time you mainline an 8-Ball, don't forget that if it weren't for pipelines, you might not even be able to partake - or at a minimum, your costs would be much higher. So you see, even the liberals benefit from pipelines. It's for the common good, dude!

8. Likes Cole2534 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    ...snip....
    So thanks to the pipeline, his life was improved and his property value was increased. He was 110% OK with it. That is one example of many I know of. People get free stock tanks / fishing ponds built, grading, etc. That doesn't sound like much but when you own a chunk of land those things become significant costs if you set out to do them yourself.
    This is quite common in my experience. I couldn't even fathom how many gates/h-braces we have installed at landowner request during a project.

Random shit I've done as a PM-
    Built ponds, miles of fence/gate work, cleared wooded areas for planting, sodded or seeded barren ground, built terraces, culverts, set propane tanks, bought new home appliances, given free gas (my primary commodity), given away gloves (farmers love free leather gloves)....because it helped the landowner.

10. Likes GregSY, 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    These are all issues that can be cleared up with some communication with the provider. If you want to approach them I will help with what you need to ask.
    The pipe line companies must be nice in Oklahoma. There are bills in the Texas legislature they are fighting tooth and nail to limit the rights of pipeline companies from taking land with 10cents on a dollar low bids. Gets ugly fast right now.
    Even after they have their easement there is no one to call when they shred your irrigation lines or shred your grass 1000 feet outside their easement or run over a calf with the shredder. SA CPS are you listening? One year they parked the trailer way outside the easement and I called the center on the 800 number and said your hear this electric drill and proceeded 1/4 holes in the tires. We almost came out even that time as that was the year they drove through one of my fences and killed the calf. Koch has not been hard to deal with but SA CPS hides behind an "ethics" department that gives less than zero satisfaction.

12. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also gotta say, I feel little sympathy for 'landowners'.

1) No one owns any land or even a house. You have your name on it until you stop paying the government their protection money. Then, you lose it. Don't ever lose sight of that fact - you work for the government, not the other way around. If your master wishes to generate big revenue by taxing a pipeline company, who are you to stand in the way? The government is a growth enterprise...each year more is needed than last year. There are millions of new foundlings hanging off the government teat each year - they must be fed.

2) I know plenty of ranchers and farmers who have thousands of acres and they pay LESS tax each year than I do for my crummy house, all thanks to the 'Ag Exemption'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is quite common in my experience. I couldn't even fathom how many gates/h-braces we have installed at landowner request during a project.

Random shit I've done as a PM-
    Built ponds, miles of fence/gate work, cleared wooded areas for planting, sodded or seeded barren ground, built terraces, culverts, set propane tanks, bought new home appliances, given free gas (my primary commodity), given away gloves (farmers love free leather gloves)....because it helped the landowner.
    Wowsers, a pipe line company builds gates and stock tanks?!?! I had to build them myself on the cross fences as they kept doing the stupid stuff described in the earlier post. You need to go to work for S.A. CPS for damage control, maybe after a couple of years fixing things the risk of getting shot on the job would go down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    The pipe line companies must be nice in Oklahoma. There are bills in the Texas legislature they are fighting tooth and nail to limit the rights of pipeline companies from taking land with 10cents on a dollar low bids. Gets ugly fast right now.
    Even after they have their easement there is no one to call when they shred your irrigation lines or shred your grass 1000 feet outside their easement or run over a calf with the shredder. SA CPS are you listening? One year they parked the trailer way outside the easement and I called the center on the 800 number and said your hear this electric drill and proceeded 1/4 holes in the tires. We almost came out even that time as that was the year they drove through one of my fences and killed the calf. Koch has not been hard to deal with but SA CPS hides behind an "ethics" department that gives less than zero satisfaction.

That is abhorrent corporate behavior. Are you positive this is being done by the P/L co's, it sounds more like vandalism? If this is recurring, get it on camera and MAKE THEM PAY. A right of way is NOT authority to be destructive. Take it to your local news outlet, these stories make great headlines.

Help me understand the part in bold. Typically we pay out the nose for land/ROW because the owners know we have deep pockets and they know how much it costs us to reroute. They have us over the barrel and they make the most of it. If this pertains to an eminent domain case, sometimes that feels like the company is paying pennies on the dollar but that's generally because the L/O was being excessively unreasonable.

I peered through the CPS site and they don't have much for landowner relations.
    Wowsers, a pipe line company builds gates and stock tanks?!?! I had to build them myself on the cross fences as they kept doing the stupid stuff described in the earlier post. You need to go to work for S.A. CPS for damage control, maybe after a couple of years fixing things the risk of getting shot on the job would go down.
    Maybe so. My job is to move products (NG) effectively, if the landowner is in my way it becomes my job to make him/her happy enough to allow me on their property.

16. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Texas, I can't think of a single person who has had their land used for a pipeline who wasn't very satisfied. I'm sure there are a few - some people will always bitch - but on the majority, people are very glad when the pipeline comes through.

One guy had a lousy water well....gave him trouble non-stop. Had no money set aside to address it. No one likes spending money on water wells. The pipeline company needed water while they worked...they could have brought in a tanker truck easily enough. But, they instead drilled a new well in a better location, using all new equipment (pump, wiring, etc.) all installed to code. The list goes on and on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here in georgia , i have to pay property tax, every year... for land i can't use.

just because a self-serving mishap, do i want to praise an oil conglomerate ?

whatever they repaired or improved was surely not for anything but themselves.

you said it... the pipeline company needed water for their own purposes.

had they not... this conversation wouldn't exist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post
    here in georgia , i have to pay property tax, every year... for land i can't use.
    You can use it, you just can't put anything under the surface in that corridor without their nod of approval. And they paid you, or the previous owner, for that right.

You have options here, man. Exercise them!

You caught me on a bored day-
    Here's a snippet of the lines in your area, one of which is the Colonial line currently blocked-in.
    capture2.jpg

20. Likes tnmgcarbide, 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so, what are my options? no one's paid me for the billions of gasoline pumping through my yard.

they probably
    paid my former owner a few thousand $ . not even enough to pay the current property taxes. the amount
    of energy passing through my land is insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post
    so, what are my options? no one's paid me for the billions of gasoline pumping through my yard.

they probably
    paid my former owner a few thousand $ . not even enough to pay the current property taxes. the amount
    of energy passing through my land is insane.
    You won't be getting paid any for the energy passing under your land, much like you won't be getting paid for any of the money made from the communications in the air above your land.

Best course of action is contact P/L company, tell them you're a landowner and ask to speak with their Right of Way group. Tell them you are a new tenant and would like a copy of your ROW agreement. You'll probably need to provide some ID and Lat/Lon to get the right document. This will detail out what rights each party has. If that doesn't work, it should be listed on the property's abstract.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is abhorrent corporate behavior. Are you positive this is being done by the P/L co's, it sounds more like vandalism? If this is recurring, get it on camera and MAKE THEM PAY. A right of way is NOT authority to be destructive. Take it to your local news outlet, these stories make great headlines.

Help me understand the part in bold. Typically we pay out the nose for land/ROW because the owners know we have deep pockets and they know how much it costs us to reroute. They have us over the barrel and they make the most of it. If this pertains to an eminent domain case, sometimes that feels like the company is paying pennies on the dollar but that's generally because the L/O was being excessively unreasonable.

I peered through the CPS site and they don't have much for landowner relations.
    Here is a snippet from the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association emails that I get.
    A special commission hearing Wednesday ruled damages to Barreno Ranch, southwest of Marfa, from the Trans-Pecos Pipeline to be worth nearly $700,000. The pipeline had offered $18,000. Nine landowners whose condemnation hearings with the TPP are scheduled for this week. Holdouts against TPP's offers and negotiations, the landowners are facing one of the last chances they have to get fair and just compensation for the easements on their property seized through eminent domain. Although high-value decisions in the special commission hearings are certainly victories for landowners against low-ball appraisals and offers from TPP, the pipeline company can — and are expected to — appeal to the Texas Supreme Court. Read more at Big Bend Now…

Looks like they made a pennies on the dollar offer. I deleted the emails with other info so it is no longer available.
    Sounds like you are one of the good guys. I know there are good and bad. Just have to look out the window to see the difference. Last time I tried to call CPS I got a call back from an out of state nonprofit. The guy had no idea who CPS was or why the call was forwarded to them. I remember the CPS employees had gone through my place and shorted out 2 electric fences as we as dropped bags of some awful smelling insecticide off the four wheeler. That stuff would have killed calves as well as the buzzards and coyotes that ate them and I would have had no clue why I lost them. They are back to the old tricks of not even answering the phone and knowing that you will go away. Just remembered I had not tossed the bag into the dumpster just went out and got it about 1 pound of evil stuff.

A year ago the place across the road was sold, the new owner told me about asking CPS to fix some very rough land on the easement. I could not understand why he thought they would do anything. Looks like he may have dealt with a better outfit in the past and knew how it should have worked. He even caught them with equipment on the place and they still did nothing.

On the original subject of protecting the pipeline, I hit one with a hand post hole digger and made some half moon cuts in the plastic wrap. Looked like about 1/8 thick white plastic about 8 inches wide with maybe a tar like adhesive. The plastic was tightly wrapped in a spiral fashion with no gaps around the pipe. They made a patch where I damaged it and did not charge me for the repair and put my wooden fence post back almost exactly where it had been. Can't say anything bad about Koch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a snippet from the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association emails that I get....

snip...
    That is indeed shitty corporate behavior. It sucks that there are operators like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cant remember the exact chemical constitution of pipeline steel but I can tell you by in large the steel contains a bit of niobium plus its calcium treated to make the inclusions spherical instead of stringy pointed things (acular)
    At least that’s the case for gas lines over here, the firm I worked for had a 42” pipe mill for undersea pipelines
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not just the land... i have to pay a "water runoff" tax on top of the property tax.... close to $800 per year for 1.8 acres plus $2.3k for county tax.+
    so ...the way i see things , they owe me at least $700/+/year, minimum for the
    .5 acres they occupy.

since their fucking gasoline pipe is underground... the bullshit water tax
    doesn't apply?

nonsense prevails

i doubt if anyone could wink an eye fast enough to represent how much money
    they make in a second.....

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked for a oil pipeline maintenance company,and looking at the OPs title ,the crowd I worked for would be "pipeline total lack of integrity" program.....Must say tho ,the oil major we worked for was notorious for cutting corners ,poor maintenance ,leaks and blowouts large and small,and the engineers were focused on winning silly competitions with other refineries.....benchmarking ,they call it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The true corporate criminals are the likes of Apple, Google, Facebook, etc.

Nothing better than seeing someone get on their iPhone on Facebook so they can rail against the evil oil companies!

Oil companies are in business to make money - let's not quibble about that. They'd be stupid not to. They also contribute greatly to the economy in doing so, and generally make all of our lives better. Not worse.

No oil company has ever stolen my privacy or tracked my doings and spending habits. It takes the tech people to do that.