What is the bending strength of 2" OD 304L tube; .065 & .120 wall? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    . . .and Gordon has to keep his remaining neurons in good shape.
    Ha! You noticed the decline, eh? I told my wife that any day now she'd not be the only one to see it!

2. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think about 2" x 4" x .12" rectangular, stainless-steel bars. 20' long supported not at the ends, but moved in to give a good balance between sag and yield avoidance. The image shown below would (I think) sag about .56" in the middle with a 600 pound load shifted completely to one side and about .43" at the start/finish bar shifted to one side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, David.
    Rectangular SS tube like that is too expensive and for this installation, too heavy. I intend to inset the supports like your drawing, the distance will be determined by ultra precise and complex testing: I'm going to lay two tubes across a couple of cement blocks and have the guy bounce on 'em in the middle. I'll move the blocks in until I get an acceptable amount of deflection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    ..I intend to inset the supports like your drawing, the distance will be determined by ultra precise and complex testing: I'm going to lay two tubes across a couple of cement blocks and have the guy bounce on 'em in the middle. I'll move the blocks in until I get an acceptable amount of deflection...
    Sounds about right. This ain't rocket science. If you move the legs in from the ends a bit I'm sure the
    2" tube will be adequate.

And a little hint: When you attach the legs angle them out a bit so they're wider at the bottom (at least a
    foot each side). This will make the bars more stable and it will also allow a little more "swing" room between
    them so when the boys are playin' they'll be less likely to swing into the legs...

6. Likes Gordon Heaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also when the legs are welded on they will help reduce sag, saging on the monkey bars will have to bend the legs.

8. Likes Gordon Heaton liked this post