What's new
What's new

What is the best machine to drill round bottom holes in aluminum plate?

DaddioAZ

Plastic
I'm going to be making about 15000 round bottom holes in a bunch of thin aluminum plates. What is the best machine to do this? A Vertical 3 axis mill or ? I don't need fancy or particularly accurate. Just simple and inexpensive. Going to buy used equipment.

I'm going to be making about 15000 round bottom holes in a bunch of thin aluminum plates. What is the best machine to do this? A Vertical 3 axis mill or ? I don't need fancy or particularly accurate. Just simple and inexpensive. Going to buy used equipment.

There's a guy on here with an inexpensive machine tool who funded its development thru Kickstarter. Ask if it will drill round-bottom holes.

Be sure to point out that accuracy is unimportant; you may be able to cut a smokin' deal.

if the part fits on the table you can pick up used a CMC mill from about $2,000 to $20,000.

If the part is small you might make a hole template to punch spot the holes and run the job on a $100 drill press.

??? OP said thin aluminum plate, and the holes are obviously not through holes because they've still got their bottoms. So, to me, the obvious solution is any machine capable of drilling, with a custom round-end drill or a ball-nose endmill if the holes are a common diameter. Absolutely no need for CNC hole profile interpolation, just positioning and pecking.

??? OP said thin aluminum plate, and the holes are obviously not through holes because they've still got their bottoms. So, to me, the obvious solution is any machine capable of drilling, with a custom round-end drill or a ball-nose endmill if the holes are a common diameter. Absolutely no need for CNC hole profile interpolation, just positioning and pecking.

Agree but for the number of parts... A CNC could track around much faster with less layout. I did also add a drill press.

re: in a bunch of thin aluminum plates...how many is a bunch?

There's a guy on here with an inexpensive machine tool who funded its development thru Kickstarter. Ask if it will drill round-bottom holes.

Be sure to point out that accuracy is unimportant; you may be able to cut a smokin' deal.

Keep in mind that you can still drill round holes with square drills. Plus, square drills are usually cheaper since they do not have to be turned down from square stock.

Many a man has lost his life and liberty in pursuit of drilling the inexpensive round bottom hole. Be careful, my friend.

Depending on the size of the plates and the number of holes in each it could even be done on a drill press by making a jig with drill bushings.

Even if the OP didn't have the skills to make the jig plate it would be a simple CNC job to hire out.

Back