What is the best method to measure this hole - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to have a job that would come in occasionally that was similar. I cut the center part of an old Ford brake drum and used the center hole to clear the shaft. It was roughly shaped in a crescent shape. I drilled and tapped for small set screws on each end. polished a radius on the ends of set screws. Used one of the lug bolt holes to provide a handle. Works great, took about a 1/2 hr to make. Used it like an inside mike, then checked the dia. with an outside mike.

JH

2. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks we have several option to try and compare results...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...QaAqf0EALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An asymmetrical telescoping gauge like Slowmotion showed might work. Lock it collapsed. Stick it through one of the open holes in the bar. Feed it into the hole. Unlock the plunger and re-lock it. Back the bar out of the hole and mike the gauge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    If you have ever done this, please explain. How do you push the Pi tape in the hole and get it squared up, and still read the markings?
    I have not measured an ID, only ODs. However Pi Tape makes ID versions down to 3/4" so it must possible to do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This Interapid gage will do it and is accurate to .0001 or less on holes up to 6".

INTERAPID IRA 2 Comparator Gauge Set 79.111402 - 12-089-9 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

It's hugely expensive and delicate, I'd hate to send it out on a field job, but it does answer the question. I have one and keep it hidden away until it's absolutely necessary.

8. Likes TeachMePlease, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Man View Post
    I have not measured an ID, only ODs. However Pi Tape makes ID versions down to 3/4" so it must possible to do.

I didn't realize there were id Pi tapes. After watching their video, it looks like they are using an internal step to square the tape. That would be doable with a snug fitting split cylinder or a welders wrap a round. Having to read the tape with a mirror due to the boring bar being in the middle looks to be a greater challenge.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Man View Post

use a small mirror held at an angle ( think dental mirror) there are sold in a wide variety of sizes shapes and lengths from nearly all hardware stores, auto parts stores and tool suppliers. they also work great to find that socket that fell into never never land.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    This Interapid gage will do it and is accurate to .0001 or less on holes up to 6".

INTERAPID IRA 2 Comparator Gauge Set 79.111402 - 12-089-9 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

It's hugely expensive and delicate, I'd hate to send it out on a field job, but it does answer the question. I have one and keep it hidden away until it's absolutely necessary.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wouldn't the cutter bar interfere in getting a proper measurement?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Berco gauge is the better way. However, before I had that luxury I milled two flats on the bar and used internal mics between the bar and the bore. ( measure each side to accommodate for being sprung ) Lacking that, adjustable parallel against the flat on the bar with a pin against the bore. Add the adjustable parallel and the pin for total gap.

13. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wouldn't the cutter bar interfere in getting a proper measurement?
    If you can't reach in with that, you can't reach in with spring calipers either. There are shorter contact tips in the kit if those are too long to clear the bar.