What are the best small towns for machining that also have a low cost of living? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iloveTXBBQ View Post
    Currently looking for work in Austin, TX. The median home cost here is $426,000., and rent reflects that. Shops just dont want to pay a livable wage here, so I have decided to move on. Id really like to find a smaller town, tired of the bigger cities and the people that fill them.

Would be nice to get a list going here of small towns that have a robust industry and a low cost of living.
    The firearms manufacturer Kimber just relocated their headquarters to Troy, Alabama (population around 19,000). They have openings for a lot of machinists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    If you know grinding.... Warsaw Indiana
    Or multi-axis mill-turn and/or CMM

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1. BBQ in Texas is different than in KC which is different than the brothers cook on trailers in parking lots down the road in Grand Rapids, Michigan. You get the idea. You say tomato and I say tomahto. Kind of like transitioning from moms cooking when you are a kid to your wife's cooking (if you're lucky) when you leave the nest. People are capable of changing there ideas of what tastes good.

2. Lots of thread drift here now that the Biden thread got closed. Must be I'm not the only one with some spare time on my hands.

3. A Democrat from NYC is likely different than a Democrat from Waukesha or Grand Rapids. Same for Republicans. Just like taste in BBQ.

For all the arguing and disagreeing that sometimes happens on this forum, it isn't all a bad thing. That's how civilization moves forward. Not from everyone agreeing that what we are already doing is fine. Nothing but love for most of my fellow PM members.

Now what was this thread about again?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    1. BBQ in Texas is different than in KC which is different than the brothers cook on trailers in parking lots down the road in Grand Rapids, Michigan. You get the idea. You say tomato and I say tomahto.
    Anybody here from Oakland ? I always wanted to try Flint's on San Pableo but never had the testicular fortitude. The worse they look, the better it tastes ? Doug's is better than the other one - Everett & Hayes or something ? But not that impressive ...

Shanghai has Bubba's, some guy from Texas, but it's pretty bad. I bet he's what we call a BHL, back home loser ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

everett and jones...flints was fine when i went there yrs ago

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    If you know grinding.... Warsaw Indiana
    Not sure about grinding, but they have a couple Zimmer plants doing medical stuff. Don't need to know much of anything to work there from what I was told. Operators are handsomely paid if that is your thing. Probably sky the limit if you can do programming and setups on something more than 3 axis...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    1. BBQ in Texas is different than in KC which is different than the brothers cook on trailers in parking lots down the road in Grand Rapids, Michigan. You get the idea. You say tomato and I say tomahto. Kind of like transitioning from moms cooking when you are a kid to your wife's cooking (if you're lucky) when you leave the nest. People are capable of changing there ideas of what tastes good.

2. Lots of thread drift here now that the Biden thread got closed. Must be I'm not the only one with some spare time on my hands.

3. A Democrat from NYC is likely different than a Democrat from Waukesha or Grand Rapids. Same for Republicans. Just like taste in BBQ.

For all the arguing and disagreeing that sometimes happens on this forum, it isn't all a bad thing. That's how civilization moves forward. Not from everyone agreeing that what we are already doing is fine. Nothing but love for most of my fellow PM members.

Now what was this thread about again?
    Duh! BBQ!!!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The roads do suck but I'll throw another hat in the ring for Michigan. Don't know GR or Detroit very well other than I'm sure there are jobs, but the Tri-City (Saginaw, Midland, Bay City) area has a bunch of good tool shops where you can make a good living if you know what you're doing. Cost of living is low and in any of the Tri-Cities you're talking somewhere around 40K people in each. Ballpark figure. Not so many people to be jam packed all the time but not so few that it's boring.

There's jobs to be had in more remote locations, too. Bunch of shops on the West side, starting North of Grand Rapids going up to Traverse City that are always looking for help. The talent pool is shallow, so pretty easy to get treated well over there if you're reliable and competent.

Winter can be a drag but that's what snowmobiles and side-by-sides are for.

And beer. Beer helps too.

9. Likes ChipSplitter, Mike1974 liked this post