what is the best type of disconnect for coolant hoses
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default what is the best type of disconnect for coolant hoses

I need to plumb a new little giant coolant pump for my lathe. The pump takes ½" male fittings, the lathe has ⅜" female for the inlet from the sump and ⅜" male for the coolant pipe/nozzle. I'm thinking of using Parker 801 ½" hose for the inlet and ⅜" clear tubing for the outlet (tygon?). Barbed mpt fittings are plentiful, but I'm still looking for barbed fittings that are part of a threaded union of some kind. The original coolant hose fittings are 80 years old and don't seem to be a style that is readily available any more, but maybe I just don't have the right search terms. Also I am sure something with o-rings might be a better choice. Looking for some help. Here are a couple of pictures that show the original disconnects.

Intake hose:
    img_0424.jpg

Outlet hose:
    img_0425.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are a lot of hydraulic fittings available with swivel capability on a pipe thread. They're mostly plated steel, but should be ok for coolant. You don't need to use the crimp ferrules either. For low pressure a hose clamp is fine. I used these types of fittings for my TIG cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    There are a lot of hydraulic fittings available with swivel capability on a pipe thread. They're mostly plated steel, but should be ok for coolant. You don't need to use the crimp ferrules either. For low pressure a hose clamp is fine. I used these types of fittings for my TIG cooler.
    That is what I am looking for: a swivel fitting with a barb.

This one is JIC: https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...saApGTEALw_wcB

Is JIC a good choice for a coolant hose? I see lots of other standards, BSPP, o-ring boss, ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta be threaded union? If not, cam-lok may be an option. Inexpensive, available, available in a wide array of materials. They're not a swivel fitting, but they'll connect in any rotation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rimcanyon View Post

Is JIC a good choice for a coolant hose? I see lots of other standards, BSPP, o-ring boss, ...
    For being able to switch back and forth between neat oils and Ho-Cut, have a look at "AN" series of Stainless, Brass, or Aluminium goods common on fuel systems.

"In other news...."

I don't like Tygon. But that's probably only because it has never held up as well for me as braid-in Neoprene & cousins.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For low pressure coolant on a 100 years old lathe almost anything works, even pneumatic/garden hose quick disconnects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

. . .Is JIC a good choice for a coolant hose? I see lots of other standards, BSPP, o-ring boss, ...
    JIC type fittings are fine, and readily available in numerous configurations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, you can't afford 'best', but in lieu of that, look to the AN fitting world for hoses that are tough, versatile, compact, and will last beyond your lifetime. The new breed of braided hoses with the PVC (nylon?) liner is cost effective and rated for coolant and oil.

anplumbing.com

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd rather go for stainless JIC instead of bling-bling rice tuner "AN" fittings.
    JIC is same connector but "real AN"(SAE aerospace) is with tighter tolerances. Rice tuner "AN" fittings can be anything that looks similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    I'd rather go for stainless JIC instead of bling-bling rice tuner "AN" fittings.
    JIC is same connector but "real AN"(SAE aerospace) is with tighter tolerances. Rice tuner "AN" fittings can be anything that looks similar.
    OK...if you paid attention, you'd see I recommended high quality, US made hoses. Not ricer hoses. If they're good enough for NASCAR and Formula 1 cars, they're good enough for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Gotta be threaded union? If not, cam-lok may be an option. Inexpensive, available, available in a wide array of materials. They're not a swivel fitting, but they'll connect in any rotation.
    The smallest camlock fittings I could find were for ¾" hose. I think I will go with JIC. Not looking for bling.

12. Likes Cole2534 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started replacing the pipe unions on my machines with camlock fittings. They are inexpensive and easy to use. No tools required to disconnect the pump and slide the whole coolant tray out. They make different gaskets for them too. Make sure you get the ones that are compatible with your coolant (oil resistant). They are available in poly(glass filled nylon), Aluminium and stainless if you really want to go fancy. 3/4” pipe is not too big either, unless you robbed your pump out of a fish bowl. With the larger hose, you will find your coolant flow will be much improved. You can always neck it down at the nozzle if you want to increase pressure or restrict flow

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    OK...if you paid attention, you'd see I recommended high quality, US made hoses. Not ricer hoses. If they're good enough for NASCAR and Formula 1 cars, they're good enough for you.
    Sorry, Murican made blingbling tuner fittings
    No reason to use lighter weight alu fittings on a cast iron lump called lathe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if aluminum bothers you for some reason, you can always specify steel fittings.

What you find, if you actually do it, is that the average machine tool has some very clunky and pain in the ass plumbing....and the flexibility, high flow, and wide variety of fittings used by AN plumbing is an 'upgrade' in every way.