What's new
What's new

What brand of vice is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcgorman

Plastic
Hi. New forum member. I'd swear I saw a group for identifying equipment but can't find it now, so I posted here. I hope that's OK.

img.jpeg - Google Drive

This vice is coming up at an auction in my area. It's a bigger vice than I currently have so I'm considering an upgrade. Is this a reputable brand? Any idea what a fair price would be.

Thanks.

Richard

The key is the number '6'. When you see a number in that font in that position you know you are looking at an import.

I wouldn't buy that vise. Not unless you got change from a twenty..

metalmagpie

If they did not trouble to cast their name into the tool you know they did not want to be embarrassed by it later. Rubber washer under handle and cylindrical handle ends tell me it is newish. I agree 1970's or newer.
The screw diameter looks smaller then it should be which is a common design flaw of cheap Asian vises. The screw is at least covered so chips stay off. I bet it is cast iron, not cast steel.
Bil lD

The reason why they did not cast the name on it is so that they could box it box it with different names on the cardboard so it could be sold to many different importers who then call it their own.

If they did not trouble to cast their name into the tool you know they did not want to be embarrassed by it later. Rubber washer under handle and cylindrical handle ends tell me it is newish. I agree 1970's or newer.
The screw diameter looks smaller then it should be which is a common design flaw of cheap Asian vises. The screw is at least covered so chips stay off. I bet it is cast iron, not cast steel.
Bil lD

I don't care how the Brits spell a damn thing.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
That's ok, we understand that not everyone who has adopted the English language is able to determine which meaning is being used from context when a single spelling has multiple definitions ;P

That's ok, we understand that not everyone who has adopted the English language is able to determine which meaning is being used from context when a single spelling has multiple definitions ;P
You're too kind, sir. Many in the UK would say we in the US speak patois

jack vines

The reason why they did not cast the name on it is so that they could box it box it with different names on the cardboard so it could be sold to many different importers who then call it their own.

I see that at Horrible fright. The tools are in a plain brown corrugated box with cheap black printing. This is slipped inside a full color printed cardboard box with a brand name on the outside. I wonder if there are factories in China that just put new boxes on wholesale brown tool boxes.
In Oakland kids used to wholesale three wrapped bricks to adults who put them into VCR boxes and sold them from the trunk of their cars. The bricks were just the correct size and weight
Bill D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back