Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zinc tablets and kelp for iodine improvement might help ward off catching it. A 1:10 Bleach solution for home door knobs and hard surfaces if store bought cant be found. latex gloves.. or often washed cotton ones. Paper towels for pumping gas, avoid touching things, and touching face or other mucus membrane body parts, wash hands often, Don't shake hands with everyone and don't kiss every girl at the bar or on the bus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    . . . and don't kiss every girl at the bar or on the bus.
    Today, St. Patrick's Day, is apparently what prompted our County medical officer to declare a shelter-in-place order late last night. We're a university town, lots of good times planned and crowded bars-restaurants-music-parties open every St. Pat's Day. Cases have been rising here and very little testing done to know the real contagion rate. Could be that stops an exponential rise?

Kiss me, I'm Irish . . .? Happy to note I'm more than a smidgen Irish, but this was likely a prudent move. They also got rid of a couple of the stupid points in last night's order. Friends and I will still be playing tennis tomorrow - just 6' apart. We're too old to jump over the net anyhow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Today, St. Patrick's Day, is apparently what prompted our County medical officer to declare a shelter-in-place late last night. We're a university town, lots of good times planned and crowded bars-restaurants-music-parties open every St. Pat's Day.

Kiss me, I'm Irish . . .? (and happy to note I'm more than a smidgen Irish).
    Likely one will be drunk and all the Ubers will be full so taking the bus home...then kissing all the girls is required..

DUI or a DOA.. likely one is worse?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ideal solution for the ventilator equipment problem would be to license already approved designs to additional manufacturers to rapidly increase output. The current makers are running at capacity just to keep up with existing orders.

5. Likes Milland, Jrill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Zinc tablets and kelp for iodine improvement might help ward off catching it. A 1:10 Bleach solution for home door knobs and hard surfaces if store bought cant be found. latex gloves.. or often washed cotton ones. Paper towels for pumping gas, avoid touching things, and touching face or other mucus membrane body parts, wash hands often, Don't shake hands with everyone and don't kiss every girl at the bar or on the bus.
    I guess I'm not there yet. neither are most people around here. We pump gas bare-handed and open doors without gloves. I do wash my hands before handling food or putting in eye drops and the like. I just went to the local pub to buy a couple of takeout dinners for St. Paddy's day. Normally the place would have been crowded with people but all that was there were a few staff handling takeout orders. They are shocked and confused over this and think the world has gone crazy. I suspect (and hope) there will be serious repercussions for those little Hitlers who are ordering everything shut down after this is over. THEY still get paid and despite all the campaign talk about caring for the people it is plain they don't give a shit if they bankrupt every small business in America.

Although we normally cook and only use takeout occasionally we've decided during this mandatory shutdown to visit the local small restaurants in round-robin fashion, giving each a bit of our business in a repeating cycle to help them stay afloat. If our asshole governor bans takeout as well these businesses are doomed.

PS: A 1:10 bleach solution is only 10%. I was taught that 15% was more effective but any old soap with water plus some scrubbing will do the job, The surfactants in the soap disrupt the virus and basically render it harmless.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT [
    PS: A 1:10 bleach solution is only 10%. I was taught that 15% was more effective but any old soap with water plus some scrubbing will do the job, The surfactants in the soap disrupt the virus and basically render it harmless.
    Agree cleaning with dish washing or laundry soap is very good. Mostly I have seen 3 to 8% bleach recommended.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Doc...nfect-en-L.pdf

https://www.hitinc.org/uploads/79/Pr...tizingWRHS.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a Forbes article about ventilators. Seems the US Govt. hasn't inquired/placed an order. (Incorrect Kushner rumor edited out.)

Ventilator Maker: We Can Ramp Up Production Five-Fold

“We could increase production five-fold in a 90- to 120-day period,” says Chris Kiple, chief executive of Ventec Life Systems, a Bothell, Wash. firm that makes ventilators used in hospitals, homes and ambulances.

I also saw a post somewhere about successful 3D printing of worn valves for vents, in Italy. Took less than a day.

9. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

11. Likes William May liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just saw this come across my twitter feed. Followed by lots of questions about 3D prinitng the needed parts.

YouTube

13. Likes Chip Chester, cameraman, PeteM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Looking in from overseas I'm sure that the USA is still capable of making immense strides in this new " war ". In the 1939-45 war once US industry got fully on stream it was only ever going to end one way. It's still a sleeping giant when it comes to innovation, in spite of what some of us might think about the younger generation. I just hope that the generosity shown at that time to the other beleaguered Allies is repeated today when solutions to this crisis are arrived at.

Regards and keep safe you guys, Tyrone.
    "Freedom's Forge" by Arthur Herman should be required reading for every American, and it wouldn't hurt if you limys read it, too. A touchy subject because we want to be friends with Germany and Japan now, but if it hadn't been for a few farsighted people, this would be a very different world.

I asked a Jewish friend if it bothered him to drive a BMW. He said "Why? the people who built my car had nothing to do with Auschwitz." We need to remember that, but we also need to remember the lessons of history and the way people came together.

Bill

15. Likes fusker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaks View Post
    Do you people really think your gonna wheel a rube Goldberg contraption into a hospital ?...

You'll never get thru the front door....

The lawyers haven't been shot yet.

17. Likes fusker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Do you people really think your gonna wheel a rube Goldberg contraption into a hospital ?...

A few more emergency actions by the government and you just might

On a side note the local wallmart todayimg_7905.jpgimg_7904.jpg
    Now that dine in food is shut down I guess it makes sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I will just do my shopping for a while at the local mom and pop country stores, as I hear the local chain stores are 1/2 empty mad houses. I drove by one yesterday and it probably had 4x the cars in the parking lot you would see on a Monday afternoon. The only problem is the selection isn't the greatest, one will have a good stock of fresh eggs, cheese, but no produce, or fresh bread, the one with the local grown produce, doesn't sell eggs, or cheese but has fresh bread. Probably between 3 of them I can get everything I need. Other than toilet paper and cleaning supplies, as they are all wiped out, fortunately I have plenty of that. I live in the Panic Zone, 1-2" of snow predicted and people lose their minds. I won't mind spending extra time and money to steer clear of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hbjj View Post
    A few more emergency actions by the government and you just might

On a side note the local wallmart todayimg_7905.jpgimg_7904.jpg
    Now that dine in food is shut down I guess it makes sense
    People as a whole are pathetic.

21. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

Home-brew ventilators are for when the hospital is full.

Lawyers are full, too...

Here's a linky-doo...

People Are Trying to Make DIY Ventilators to Meet Coronavirus Demand - VICE

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eh...a friend asked me the same question. If I had stuff to fashion together a vent.

I'm the only person I know that's had one apart, put it back together, then ran the damn thing. There's really nothing to them. My patients were animals, but a vents a vent.

The problem is all the OTHER stuff the patient needs. Nutritional support, iv fluids, iv antibiotics, central lines, pain management, urinary catheter, other meds whether they are cardiac support or other...but most of all, advanced nursing care and case management.

Anybody can be taught to monitor the patients by breaking up the advanced nursing in to a number of tasks and making one person say, change dressings on central lines. Or one person take vitals and check for swelling. But whether they lived or died was dependent upon the skill of the criticalist, or intensivist in human care who had to put that whole picture together. It's that support we are lacking. You can't just throw a new doc in and expect them to monitor that. Hunches and gut feelings from experience rule in intensive care. Yes, they can quote the statistics...I've never met a slow doctor in intensive care. But they also tend to get really good at picking up little nuances that don't show up in the chart, and don't jump out at you on the exam.

So while I'm positive that the country could supply the equipment...I'm unfortunately very hesitant to think we could supply the knowledge to use it successfully. It's not a matter of just plugging someone in to a machine.

BUT...it then becomes a question of whether

24. Likes MattiJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    ...... I live in the Panic Zone, 1-2" of snow predicted and people lose their minds..
    What I would give for a 4-6 inch March snow.
    That would make SWMBO happier than a pig in shit. Screw all this worry and let's go play and have fun.
    A break would be nice, she is way too wound up with all this news.
    I see that also in others. Not panic to say but just general attitude. This has changed people and we are not in the thick of it yet.
    People are getting pissy.
    Bob

26. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup....still a little to chilly to work outdoors, and not cold enough to have cold weather fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The problem is all the OTHER stuff the patient needs. Nutritional support, iv fluids, iv antibiotics, central lines, pain management, urinary catheter, other meds whether they are cardiac support or other...but most of all, advanced nursing care and case management.
    I'm sure all the 'redneck flotilla' whack-o-s will have a plan for all those things too. Sigh.
    "Sure, we can jam a needle in their arm!" or "nurses, that's the same thing as car mechanics, right?"

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Volunteer for COVID incubation to build herd coverage and to have resistant workforce if needed? Probably too late and bad idea at the moment but maybe later on.