What's new
What's new

Wf wells w-9 blade tension

Lock

Aluminum
New to me saw, previous owner was restoring and employee quite, he didnt feel like finishing it. Got it home and running within hours and if I set my blade tension to what I would think is reasonable it will no longer allow the head to fall down. Previous owner has a maintenance shop and had replaced the two upright rods with some new 4140 prehard. Put an interapid .0005 indicator on the housing of idler wheel and could easily witness .007 of deflection from no tension to what I think it should be. No visble cracks in the head... any idears fellors? Seems a bit wet noodlish to me but never ran one of these...

Not sure what your measuring but there should be some kind of blade tensioner device. Tension the blade per the manufactures procedure and check the tracking on the blade wheels. Blade should not rub on the flange of the wheels, if needed adjust idler wheel to move blade off of flange.
If I recall, the Wells company manual has a good write up on adjusting the saw.
As far as "wet noodle" design, most all of the cheaper saws are that way. Move up to an Amada if you want a stiff frame structure.
Typical Amada hydraulically tensions the blade to 25 to 30 KPSI, a Hem saw is typically about 15 KPSI using a blade tension meter.

Mr Bridgeport

Back