What's new
What's new

What Color Should I paint my toolboxes?

Maxim

Stainless
I got these two older (then me!) Matco toolboxes. They are still in good shape, but look a little homely. Both are also the standard red color.

I'm going to repaint them with Rustolium soon, but I am undecided of what color I should choose. Perhaps the PM community will help me out?

Right now I'm thinking a burn orange color would look really good?

Or purple, the color of royalty. :D

Basically anything other then red, and maybe green, I don't really want a green toolbox.

:cheers:

Paint 'em with the DOD's new invisible light-bending paint. That way you won't have to agonize over the decision and no one will steal them.

It would seem if you are letting a bunch of machinists do your interior decorating then you are in a lot of trouble:willy_nilly:

It would be really cool to have my machines and my toolboxes the same color though:smoking:

im voting for candy apple something with a little metalflake mixed in and a heavy coat of clear. if theyre going to stay put and be treated reasonably, paint them up like you would a hot rod, pull the badges off, add a cupholder, a little stainless trim, and personalize the hell out of them. tricking out a toolbox is one of the simplest, but most fun projects in the shop and if done right will impress even those not into tools

Paint them the exact same shade they are now, that way you don't have to paint the insides to match and it's a lot easier to do, Kind of like respraying a car the same colour and not having to do the inside of the doorframes/doors/boot inside/bonnet where the paint is still in good condition.

Machinist boxes are supposed to be wood or brown wrinkle paint. Got some crap about my bright red boxes,But they are alot bigger and have roller bearing drawers. Plus they are easier to clean and wax up. I just painted the stand for the surface plate at home Ford tractor red .

A freind of mine used to sit things upside-down and sling paint at then. When right-side up it looked like the paint was dripping up. Painted hit tailgat that way. Very different!

I have some older boxes that don't match, color, brand, etc.

When they do get painted, I am thinking of a bed liner type of paint. Maybe some of it that you can tint. Or, I have always thought of camouflage paint. It wouldn't show the greasy fingerprints if it was clear coated.;)

Let us know what you do, and show some pics please.:D

JAckal

I like the bed liner idea. Hammertone Gray is my first thought. Wrinkle black would be cool too. Especially if you put some runs in it - ever see wrinkle paint with runs? Real funky. A friend painted all his 2 door cabinets and etc. Snap On red and bolted Snap On logos to them, everyone who visits says where did you get the Snap On cabinets? One of my guys has a stainless Costco box, he put a Snap On logo on it (the pin locations matched!) and everyone wants to know how long Snap On has been building SS boxes. Maybe red with a big stripe up the back and across the top. Or take it outside and shoot paintballs at it. Paint it a solid dark color, then lay it down and dribble multiple bright colors across it from a squeeze bottle across each side - do it all together so they match when assembled. Glue pinup posters to it and clear urethane over the top. Get fake hundred dollar bills, glue them all over like wallpaper and clear over them. Woodgrain it. Shiny silver contact paper. Red white and blue like the US flag. Or the Union Jack. Get vinyl cutouts of your name made, paint the box one color, put the cutouts on like masking paper all over the box, paint it a contrasting color then pull the vinyl off when the paint drys. Gee, I can't decide...:typing:

Line em up like they normally are (if so) and paint an good 'ol red, white & blue American Flag that stretches across all of them. As a bonus, it's an easy visual aide in putting the boxes back in correct order.

Back