What's new
What's new

What is this D1-8 mounting plate for?

ignator

Cast Iron
I got this off eBay to use on a lathe chuck, but wanted to know what its purpose was before putting a pilot of 4mm for a Bison chuck.
20201127_160127.jpg

Yes, they're just simple drive dogs. They sometimes go cheaper than regular backing plates. Just unscrew the
two dogs and the plate can be used for other purposes...

Yes, they're just simple drive dogs. They sometimes go cheaper than regular backing plates. Just unscrew the
two dogs and the plate can be used for other purposes...

The issue I'm seeing is the threads and ends of the drive cam bolts stand a half mm or so proud of the plate. But I can see cutting them shorter, as the price is right.

The issue I'm seeing is the threads and ends of the drive cam bolts stand a half mm or so proud of the plate. But I can see cutting them shorter, as the price is right.
Do you have a different picture? I am not seeing what your describing in the pic posted...
Sure looks like you unscrew the dogs and turn the pilot - done, I must be missing something.

Do you have a different picture? I am not seeing what your describing in the pic posted...
Sure looks like you unscrew the dogs and turn the pilot - done, I must be missing something.

Some are flush, some stand proud. They are adjusted correct for the install on the lathe spindle.
The Bison chuck is a 200mm, and the mounting pilot interferes with the D1-8 bolt circle.
I think I'm going to leave this as a dog drive, as it's smaller than the face plate I have, for just that purpose.
20201127_155941_HDR.jpg

Is that correct? as I understand it, the # of camlock pins denotes the size, the OP says D1-8 and shows what I'm lead to believe is a D1-6

The ref is used Lathe Spindle Fittings Page 2

It is a D1-8, and I don't think the number of the D1 spindle nose size is relative to the number of drive studs.
D1-3, 4 have 3 drive studs, D1-5, 6, 8, 11, 15, 20 all have 6 drive studs. The number is the diameter of the mount. And appears to be a circle of diameter in inches, that the drive studs would just touch.D1 spindle nose data.jpg

Is that correct? as I understand it, the # of camlock pins denotes the size, the OP says D1-8 and shows what I'm lead to believe is a D1-6

The ref is used Lathe Spindle Fittings Page 2

Easy way to tell unknown D1-? sizes, is the diameter of the drive pins. They are different for every D1- size. Also diameter of bolt circle, but if trying to get someone else to measure for you, the pin dia is less likely to get measured wrong.
Side note: Pins can be threaded either metric or english, be sure what threads it is before ordering replacement pins....

Back