What's new
What's new

What is the difference between a Sucker Rod Thread, and a normal thread?

doug925

Titanium
I need to quote some parts that have a male .75-10 API Sucker Rod Thread.

What is the difference from a normal thread?

Thanks,

Doug.

Thanks,

Doug.

Thanks,

Doug.

Google it. I did and I conclude its merely a plain vanilla unified thread on a rod the same size.

I've never worked with water wells except to over haul a pump or two. I imagine you select materials and workmanship for a deep well in terms of strength and reliability. A big wind powered well pump 600 ft deep is no exception regardless it being 1870 technology. I'd hate to have to fish out a dropped string of sucker rod and the attached piston.

Google it. I did and I conclude its merely a plain vanilla unified thread on a rod the same size.

I've never worked with water wells except to over haul a pump or two. I imagine you select materials and workmanship for a deep well in terms of strength and reliability. A big wind powered well pump 600 ft deep is no exception regardless it being 1870 technology. I'd hate to have to fish out a dropped string of sucker rod and the attached piston.

Thanks Forrest.

I did in Google it. I did not see any specs listed, except those from API. They wanted $92.00 USD to see them! :eek: :eek:

I should have asked if anybody has some spec info they could pass along.

I would rather not have to buy the thread spec, just so I can quote the job.

Thanks again,

Doug.

Thanks Forrest.

I did in Google it. I did not see any specs listed, except those from API. They wanted $92.00 USD to see them! :eek: :eek:

Thanks again,

Doug.

Thanks Forrest.

Thanks again,

Doug.

Guys,

Is there anything tricky or extra tight tolerance-wise that I should be concerned about in quoting? (above and beyond a 3/4 10 thread)

Thanks,

Doug.

Guys,

Is there anything tricky or extra tight tolerance-wise that I should be concerned about in quoting? (above and beyond a 3/4 10 thread)

Thanks,

Doug.

Guys,

Thanks,

Doug.

DOH! I needed to re-read Forrest's post...

Never mind....

Think Brain cells, and reading retention,
:D
Doug.

Never mind....

Doug.

Never mind....

Doug.

I found this. There does seem to be a difference.

http://www.weatherford.com/weatherford/groups/public/documents/production/sr_couplings.hcsp

Weatherford offers T and SM grades of Sucker Rod Couplings. Both grades are manufactured with cold worked pre-stressed, roll-formed threads. This round root form is substantially stronger and provides better fatigue resistance than conventional cut threads. The threads of both grades of couplings are coated for anti-galling properties.

Weatherford API Sucker Rods are manufactured to API 11B specifications and are ISO 9001/API Q1 certified in one of the most modern facilities of its type within the industry. These rods feature fully rolled, cold-formed threads designed to provide a precise, smooth, reinforced thread structure not attainable by normal machine-cut threads. Metal is displaced rather than removed and the resultant cold working strengthens the thread root.

http://www.weatherford.com/weatherford/groups/public/documents/production/sr_couplings.hcsp

Weatherford offers T and SM grades of Sucker Rod Couplings. Both grades are manufactured with cold worked pre-stressed, roll-formed threads. This round root form is substantially stronger and provides better fatigue resistance than conventional cut threads. The threads of both grades of couplings are coated for anti-galling properties.

Weatherford API Sucker Rods are manufactured to API 11B specifications and are ISO 9001/API Q1 certified in one of the most modern facilities of its type within the industry. These rods feature fully rolled, cold-formed threads designed to provide a precise, smooth, reinforced thread structure not attainable by normal machine-cut threads. Metal is displaced rather than removed and the resultant cold working strengthens the thread root.

Back