What's new
What's new

What to do with a pile of heavy 1018 flats?

david n

Diamond
Free. So I pretty much had to take it all. I only wanted a few pcs.................Just kept piling it on. Now what? I don't use much low carbon flats..............donate it to the local Tech College? To heavy to saw, ship, sell here on PM?......................Stuff is just too nice to just scrap..................I just have no room for it. It has sat out for a week now getting rusty............................

IMG_0326.jpg IMG_0325.jpg

Take a picture of one piece and put it on craigslist for $675.

Mention that steel prices are high and then say you priced it out from the local steel supplier and they wanted $6,700 for the same piece.

At least that seems to be what everyone else is doing right now.

I got a deal like that last week. Guy put up an ad for beams and siding. His picture showed some small sheets of galv siding. I showed up and those small sheets were 3" rib 18 gauge concrete form deck. 300 pounds a 22' sheet. Just about killed me to load 30 of them. The beams were a small steel building plus a bunch of misc. The 14k equipment trailer was squatting pretty good.

If it's no sweat off your back, I would donate it to the local tech school. They should love that and it gets it out of your way.

I just have no room for it.

Maybe you actually do have. At least so you can use or dispose of it at leisure without it interfering with life and operations in general.

Solved a similar VEXING problem of FAR too many years by putting a fraction of my "longs" up in the attic. The "fraction" above the 8-foot ceiling.

By simply framing an opening in a corner - through the garage/shop ceiling.

Now the "longs" stand vertically - on-end in a framed "pocket" at slab level. I don't need to carry them UP there atall.

Similar to how "Big Box" display their metals assortments, hooks and chains at a couple of points part way up. To insure the shorter lengths don't topple and ruin my day.

I'm lazy as well as old, so there's a cheap-ass Horror-Fright 120 V electric hoist up in the attic, not my only one. And clamps, of course, plus the usual wheely and die cart stuff below. And the big Kasto.

That corner wasn't much use before I did the do in any case, so "almost a freebie", space-wise.

More nuisance to handle than flat? True enough.

But very damned seldom. And only one at a time.

BFD.

Cut it into I think 11.5" pieces so they fit in flat rate boxes, and sell it in the "for sale"
section down below. 40 cents a pound or so. Harry Home Shop will eat that up like its crack.

That's some good stuff. I'd find room inside if I was you. Even if you have to chop 'em
into 3 footers.

You do know that one that dies with the most material wins.. Right????

Cut it into I think 11.5" pieces so they fit in flat rate boxes, and sell it in the "for sale"
section down below. 40 cents a pound or so. Harry Home Shop will eat that up like its crack.

There's another choice in USPS FL boxes - the "game" box:

Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Board Game Box | USPS.com

Inside dimensions about 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3", more volume than a regular Large FRB, but same price. Just tape the heck out of it before shipping, and remember that the max weight is still 70lbs (quite a bit, think of your poor postman).

There's another choice in USPS FL boxes - the "game" box:

Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Board Game Box | USPS.com

Inside dimensions about 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3", more volume than a regular Large FRB, but same price. Just tape the heck out of it before shipping, and remember that the max weight is still 70lbs (quite a bit, think of your poor postman).

The last big recession a decade or so ago, the bottom just fell out here. Held on for almost 2 years on long term stuff, but through 2009 and into 2010 it tapered and then came to an abrupt end. October of 2010 I was able to bill $510. Thankfully it ramped up after that..

But... For quite a few months, selling drops on e-bay and on here paid the bills. Home Shop Harry's. A 50lb box of all
kinds of material.. They love it.. Throw in some in some stainless and some delrin, and bits of different aluminums, and
maybe a sliver of Ti. Paid the bills for at least 3 months.

But those poor girls down at the post office, and they really are awesome here in Hatch.. After about 2 months
of those 50-70lb boxes constantly they all had messed up backs. So started loading the boxes up and bringing them to
different post offices in the area.

Too bad the Miserable Swamp Witch at my local(to my house) post office wasn't there at the time. I would have
loved to have put her out on disability. But that's another story for another day.. And it took a lot
of restraint to only call her a witch.

Only if he shipped the "treasure" to Hell ahead of his arrival!

By USPS FRB.

I don't think the other Couriers have the right to land goods there?

For sure nothing sent by USPS has ever ended-up in HEAVEN.

So... if you want to keep your toys, you shall just have to go to Hell.

Local trip to some, road well-traveled to others, so "BFD".

Satan? Well he was NEVER a machinist. Design Engineer, rather.

Tamper-proof plastic blister packs, IIRC?

:D

That's some good stuff. I'd find room inside if I was you. Even if you have to chop 'em
into 3 footers.

uh, no it's he who dies with the most tools wins... geez, can't believe I had to school ya.;)

Anyone notice how your rem pile seems to grow way faster than you think it should?

There was a point for me when I recognized the insanity of scouring auctions and craigslist for heavy finger rack just so I could store/organize material I didn't need.

Back