Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What do you think of this Duff mill?

All Homer Simpson puns aside. This mill isn't too far from me, and right now the price would be about $1300 delivered, although it may go a little lower. I have a 9" southbend, but this would be my first mill.

Pros: 3/4 scale bridgeport style, fits in my shop (smaller footprint). Variable speed, power downfeed, comes with a few collets. Ways don't look to be in terrible condition. Spindle is allegedly very similar to a bridgeport spindle, so a conversion to R5 tooling may be an option. A few people have done this mod already. Delivery is available, so I don't need to fuss around with renting a trailer and transporting/moving it myself (no experience with that). Price

Cons: Uses obsolete D5 tooling, will need to make adapters for a drill chuck, boring head, ER-32 Collets, etc. No powerfeed. Mill isn't under power to test run. Ways don't look to be in great condition. Parts may not be available if needed. 3 phase machine, so a VFD will be required which may make the machine built in variable speed redundant. A few apprentice marks on the table.

20191118144406572_l.jpg20191118144406607_l.jpg20191118144406709_l.jpg20191118144406744_l.jpg20191118144406500_l.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Additional Photos

20191118144406831_l.jpg20191118144406868_l.jpg20191118144406909_l.jpg20191118144406909_l.jpg20191118144406944_l.jpg20191118144407017_l.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to be shy about where it's at:
    Used Duff Vertical Mill | HGR Industrial Surplus

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Additional Photos

cs2.jpgcs1.jpgcs4.jpgcs6.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha, wasn't sure how protective i should be (or not!) I did receive a few photos from HGR that arn't on the listing, mainly the Y axis ways and the small amount of damage to the table.

cs15.jpgcs16.jpgcs17.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy something you can get parts for ! Total orphan veri-speed ,odd collet system, not under power PASS !!

7. Likes Pathogen, Newman109 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy it!! It'll be a great long lasting project, something you will always a chance to make parts for and work on. A project that never ends!/s

Although it is kinda cute.

9. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

11. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha, yeah its smaller stature is probably the biggest thing that attracted me to it. I can't fit a full size machine, and the non-chinese hobby machines that do come up for sale are usually either insanely priced or move in a heartbeat-sometimes both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like a nice little machine, but looks well used and John Evans pointed out some downsides. I have never even heard of d5.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Domodude17 View Post
    Ha, yeah its smaller stature is probably the biggest thing that attracted me to it. I can't fit a full size machine, and the non-chinese hobby machines that do come up for sale are usually either insanely priced or move in a heartbeat-sometimes both.
    I don't have anything good to say about "MMSO" (Milling-Machine Shaped Objects) AKA DUMB hobbyist "mill-drills" .... but

..I don't see a lick of ADVANTAGE over that lot to this rig at all. Only orphaned tooling DISadvantages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure, but if it was made by the same company that makes Homer Simpson's beer I would be very cautions. Doh!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
    Buy something you can get parts for ! Total orphan veri-speed ,odd collet system, not under power PASS !!
    Absolutely!

Vari-speed is one thing, but I never head of or saw R5 or D5 tooling any where. I would at least want R8 but would prefer 40 size tooling.

I'd stay away from this machine. (Actually, I'd run away from it.......and not look back!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never understood this big concern over parts. Unless you are busting castings, the great majority of the time the part is not too difficult to make or a commercial item...if they even need any parts. Most machines I've bought, arrive with all the parts, you clean, lube and run ....or you tear down for a reconditioning and make whats needed/buy new seals and bearings, etc.

In today's BS world of so called obsolete parts (that is NOT what obsolete means, they're not obsolete, you just decided to stop making it and f**k all your customer over every 5 years) even on a new machine it doesn't mean parts are going to be available.

oddball tooling otoh, unless it came with every imaginable bit of it, I would definitely pass

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the odd ball tooling front, it seems like one could make or adapt a ER32 collet holder to what ever the spindle taper is and handle pretty much any tooling that machine should handle, outside of morse taper drills maybe. Assuming you put a 1/2" or 3/4" straight shank on your boring head and maybe a drill chuck

Edit: I guess larger double ended endmills would be out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to the article on Tony's site the earlier models could only use tooling up to 5/8". The article doesn't address whether the newer models like the one you're looking at can accept larger tooling. If it can only use the smaller tooling I would see that as a negative. As for switching the spindle to R8 I'm sure it could be done, but at what cost?

Here's a link to the write up about Duff machines on Tony's site:

Duff Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Were'nt those machines sold buy Homer Simpson?.