What's new
What's new

What does the anacronyn or initialism " HLTC angle" stand for ?

High Load Triple Chip might be a useful start.

People make stuff up all the time, but a TC blade is common, as is a HL support.

High Load Triple Chip might be a useful start.

People make stuff up all the time, but a TC blade is common, as is a HL support.

Thanks, Cal. I just read the quote today and will naturally call to find out what it means before ordering. I had no idea and could find nothing with a search.

I do know what a triple chip blade is for woodworking, but it would serve no purpose for my application. I never had a use for Triple chips in woodworking either, nor also never used ATB blades with a raker unless the raker were reground lower than the ATB grinds. I think the rakers destabilize the blade and create moon cuts at the start of the cut in wood when cutting miters in hardwoods.They are good for carrying chips out of the kerf though if they are ground lower than the lowest point on the ATB teeth which provide the lateral stability, but not worth the expense of regrinds unless they were free to start with.

But these saws are for cutting points on long dog point screws of 4037 steel on an old Van Norman horizontal mill.

As you say, they may be making up a name. I'll let you know after I find out this coming week. They made a set of them for me years ago which worked very well and all the teeth were identical. They could very well be thinking I am milling grooves in flat stock or something, or have me confused with a different customer.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
Lots of people stuck in their own little world,talking to the same small group of people often do this.Some times they do this on purpose as when computer geeks are trying to outgeek each other.I have seen it on this forum many times.Edwin Dirnbeck

Please forgive me as I’m not a member of the grammar police but I just had to chuckle. I saw the title as “anachronism” at first then saw that the OP meant “acronym”

Indeed, the puzzle “HLTC” might very well be an anachronism.

All in fun,
Rich

Just getting back. Puzzle solved with a phone call, which was inevitable, as is an email confirmation, prior to writing a check anyhow. I don't want to wind up having to re-do a 65 pound parts fixture bolted to the horizontal mill.

The term "HLTC Angle" turned out to be a typo so "anachronism" was the closest to being correct, Rich. Humor wins again.

It was supposed to be "HSTC Angle" not "HLTC Angle"- which, admittedly, would not have had any more meaning to me than the typo.

It stands for "High Side Top Coming" angle. So the grinding company has retained the specs for those saws for many years or they could not have known this.

Major Correction: I need more coffee. She did not make a typo. The "L" stands for "Left" meaning "High (side) Left Top Coming" angle. It gets easier every year for me to conflate things.

Cheers,
Jim

Back