What's new
What's new

What does this handle fit?

Rex TX

Titanium
This was in amongst my mill tooling for years, but I have no idea if it fits a BP or something else. It certainly doesn't go to my Millrite.

Anyone recognize it? That envelope is 8" long

IMG_7974.jpg

It looks a little like the spindle lock on my Grizzly mill, but it could be for almost anything that locks or adjusts.

Is that smaller diameter at the tip threaded? I am not sure from the photo.

It looks a little like the spindle lock on my Grizzly mill, but it could be for almost anything that locks or adjusts.

Is that smaller diameter at the tip threaded? I am not sure from the photo.

No Grizzly part is made that nicely. I have no idea what it's for, but it looks well machined, too good for cheapo import stuff.

That is the shift lever for the short lived Chrysler Turboencabulator. When Chrysler came out with their version, they tried to improve over GE, so they made their's 2 speed. What you have is probably the only Chrysler part that didn't rust out. Rust is the reason that Chrysler got out of the Turboencabulator business. They didn't make the base from Amulite. You don't want to be around when the tremie pipes come shooting out or a Turboencabulator.
JR

BTW, that's a left hand shifter. For the RH version, the bend goes the other direction.

That is the shift lever for the short lived Chrysler Turboencabulator. When Chrysler came out with their version, they tried to improve over GE, so they made their's 2 speed. What you have is probably the only Chrysler part that didn't rust out. Rust is the reason that Chrysler got out of the Turboencabulator business. They didn't make the base from Amulite. You don't want to be around when the tremie pipes come shooting out or a Turboencabulator.
JR

BTW, that's a left hand shifter. For the RH version, the bend goes the other direction.

Well that's helpful. So this was probably for the British market?

Gbent beat me to it (had to feed the cats)

Actually, the RHD version was a converted Rockwell unit, made under license by AM General. When they started development of the HumVee, they thought about using twin turboencabulators (a HR and LH drive) for the independent 4WD. They couldn't keep the dirt out of the semi-boloid stator slots without causing an over-heating problem, so that was abandoned.

All this should be in my book is I get around to writing it. The trouble is being on all of those morning TV shows.
JR

Well, they don't show up around here very often. And when they do, there is no more than 10-15% life in them.
Maybe the RHD versions are in better shape, but I've not seen one in the flesh - except for this shifter handle

Maybe I just need to build a nice formula car to suit this nice handle.
Probably go with the naturally-aspirated encabulators, due to regulations.

JR

Great Scot it is a left handed shifter! Very rare in the States. Most went to the USPS and I thought they also went to the UK.

Its a beautiful looking lever for sure.

Back