What's new
What's new

What drill bit to use on titanium?

rickseeman

Cast Iron
I need to drill a 3/8" hole in 2" thick 6AL4V titanium. What kind of drill bit do I need for this? Thank you.

Any quality drill should be fine. Run it slow, keep it cool, peck alot.

What he said + don't let it rub, make sure it's cutting or it will work harden the Ti in a flash.

From my handy Clarkson Osborn cutter book HSS drill in Ti 16-30' / min, 165 - 300 ish rpm @ 0.005'' - 0.010'' / rev feed

Is there a company that makes high quality drill bits? I hate to go to Harbor Freight and ask for a cobalt drill bit. Thanks

Dormer, Nachi, YG(personal favourite), PTD and many others. I would suggest looking for a split point as well. You don't want a thick web chisel edge in this material.

Is there a company that makes high quality drill bits? I hate to go to Harbor Freight and ask for a cobalt drill bit. Thanks
If you're buying drills at harbor freight you should not be cutting titanium...

This should do the job:

YG-1: BEST VALUE IN THE WORLD OF CUTTING TOOLS

You can order from Suncoast

3/8 Jobber Length Cobalt TiN Drill

edit to add: I would recommend you spot that hole first with a 140 deg. spot drill.

1/2 14o ALTiN Carbide Chamfer Mill NC Spot Drill

you can easily spend over $100 on one drill bit and still break it in less than 1 minute
just saying the most expensive drill is not necessarily the best drill to use

you can easily spend over $100 on one drill bit and still break it in less than 1 minute
just saying the most expensive drill is not necessarily the best drill to use

True, but I don't want to find out I have a shitty drill 1" into a 2" deep hole.

True, but I don't want to find out I have a shitty drill 1" into a 2" deep hole.

if a drill bit drills a hole 2" into steel in general it will drill into titanium. but i would watch out for chips sticking to flutes. that will definitely cause problems. coolant and pecking usually used

I worked in a screw machine shop where the boss had made the spacers for the 747 windshields. He had done thousands of them. He used good quality fast twist high speed drills modified by hand to thin the lands. One thing he said was you drill to size, do not even think of drilling undersize and following with a larger drill.
For the OP a standard off the shelf drill is probably good enough. If he was making thousands of holes modifying the drills would be important.

If you're breaking drills you are doing it wrong. Try the initial speed/feed combination for a short distance then CHECK the cutting edges. One who doesn't monitor cutting edges on any cutting tool should be regarded as an amateur. A drill should never break unless the operator makes a stupid mistake and/or is drilling some seriously vicious material. I can count the number of good quality drills I've broken over 25 years on one hand.

No one is asking the O.P. to buy the most expensive drill he can find. Just don't use a piece of shit from Harbor Freight, but a decent quality brand.

I worked in a screw machine shop where the boss had made the spacers for the 747 windshields. He had done thousands of them. He used good quality fast twist high speed drills modified by hand to thin the lands. One thing he said was you drill to size, do not even think of drilling undersize and following with a larger drill.
For the OP a standard off the shelf drill is probably good enough. If he was making thousands of holes modifying the drills would be important.
Definitely my experience as well. And echoing limy's remark- it'll workharden in a flash. If you hear or feel that your drill is getting the least bit dull change it or sharpen it. You might be just a few seconds away from it all going south.

Definitely my experience as well. And echoing limy's remark- it'll workharden in a flash. If you hear or feel that your drill is getting the least bit dull change it or sharpen it. You might be just a few seconds away from it all going south.

In other words, "He who hesitates, is lost!"

If you hear even the faintest squeak, Get the F**K out, NOW!, or misery will follow!

Ti. is great fun to work with, once you understand a few things about it. Mostly, it comes down to never a dull tool, and never let a sharp tool rub.

/QUOTE]

I have a set of cobalt drills that I bought at Harbor Freight that are every bit as good as the 3X times more expensive sets that I keep next to my manual mill and "big" drill press..

No discernible difference.

I machine Titanium as well as Monel, Inconel and other exotics all the time with no issues...

Best $88.00 I ever spent...

/QUOTE]

I have a set of cobalt drills that I bought at Harbor Freight that are every bit as good as the 3X times more expensive sets that I keep next to my manual mill and "big" drill press..

No discernible difference.

I machine Titanium as well as Monel, Inconel and other exotics all the time with no issues...

Best $88.00 I ever spent...

:D:D:D Thanks, I needed a good laugh before calling it a day

Back