What's new
What's new

What drill size for M8x1.0 6H form tap?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

I actually can't find the recommended drill size for M8x1.0 6H. Neither the Balax website, my big wall chart, nor MHB seem to give this info.

This is M8x1.0, not the standard M8x1.25.

If I had to guess, following the pattern of M6x1.0 and M7x1.0, I'd say 7.5mm, but that's just a guess.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

I would just measure the threads minor diameter and go from their. Form tap drill sizes are always bigger so yeah just measure your taps minor dia . and choose the closest drill size. Maybe go a couple thousands smaller, no more than . 005 . Hope this helps. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I actually can't find the recommended drill size for M8x1.0 6H. Neither the Balax website, my big wall chart, nor MHB seem to give this info.

This is M8x1.0, not the standard M8x1.25.

If I had to guess, following the pattern of M6x1.0 and M7x1.0, I'd say 7.5mm, but that's just a guess.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Hello,
Oops, my wall chart doesn't quote size for an 8X1 form tap, but you knew that. LOL.

It's usually just guessing for me anyway. I expect to drill and tap a couple holes in scrap first, to get the minor diameter right anyway. But I would agree with your thinking. IT also depends on the material; Aluminium is going to displace a lot more than cast Iron.

R

I would just measure the threads minor diameter and go from their. Form tap drill sizes are always bigger so yeah just measure your taps minor dia . and choose the closest drill size. Maybe go a couple thousands smaller, no more than . 005 . Hope this helps. [emoji846]

That's a good way to end up with a broken tap..

General rule of thumb. Pitch diameter plus a little.

8mmx1 with a PD of 7.35mm to 7.5mm would be a drill of around 7.5mm or a bit bigger...

lets go to imperial.. 1/4-28 is an A.. .234... PD of a 1/4-28 is .226-.231.

Same rule applies for thread rolling.. PD minus a little.

And get yourself some ME ThreadPal.. Best $100 you'll ever spend as a machinist.. I put
off buying it for years, and when I finally did buy it, it paid for itself in just a few weeks.
I never had to Google the drill size for a form tap... I didn't have to calculate any wire sizes,
I didn't have to find a Machinery's Handbook... Didn't have to try and figure out where I left
that damn J-thread spec this time. It made pipe threads and Acme threads a breeze.

Its made and sold by member here... And I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Yeah but if you use the pitch dia. He will have no threads. He needs to measure the minor dia.. , everyone does things differently but just trying to help. I'm sure someone will know the exact drill size.
That's a good way to end up with a broken tap..

General rule of thumb. Pitch diameter plus a little.

8mmx1 with a PD of 7.35mm to 7.5mm would be a drill of around 7.5mm or a bit bigger...

lets go to imperial.. 1/4-28 is an A.. .234... PD of a 1/4-28 is .226-.231.

Same rule applies for thread rolling.. PD minus a little.

And get yourself some ME ThreadPal.. Best $100 you'll ever spend as a machinist.. I put
off buying it for years, and when I finally did buy it, it paid for itself in just a few weeks.
I never had to Google the drill size for a form tap... I didn't have to calculate any wire sizes,
I didn't have to find a Machinery's Handbook... Didn't have to try and figure out where I left
that damn J-thread spec this time. It made pipe threads and Acme threads a breeze.

Its made and sold by member here... And I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Yeah but if you use the pitch dia. He will have no threads. He needs to measure the minor dia.. , everyone does things differently but just trying to help. I'm sure someone will know the exact drill size.

No. If you drill the minor diameter with a form tap, you will have a broken tap...

If you drill AT the pitch diameter, you will have full threads (in theory) with a form tap...

The material has to have a place to flow to.

If you drill at minor diameter with a CUT tap, you will have full threads.

If you drill at the PD for a CUT tap, you will have really really bad weak threads.

Good formula for metric form taps: drill size = basic major dia - (% of thread*pitch)/147.06

So for 65% thread:

8-(65*1)/147.06 = 8-.442 = 7.558mm or .2975"

19/64 drill is .2968

Just so your aware Guhring has a tap and drill chart for every imaginable class of fit. From cut taps to form and oversize threads a search for Guhring cut tap chart or form tap chart will get you what your looking for it’s a considerable amount of information.

Perhaps you're thinking of the major diameter? Pitch diameter is between the minor and major diameter.

Back