What's new
What's new

What DRO do you use?

Mr.Smith

Aluminum
I am looking to add DRO to my machines (mill and lathe). I have searched and read what I can find in previous threads on the same subject. Most just end up going in circles.

So I propose only 3 questions, request only 3 short answers:

1. What brand DRO do you use or have you used? (brand name only)
2. Does it work well? (yes/no)
3. Would you buy it again? (yes/no)

If you have used and wish to offer opinions on more than one brand please answer the 3 questions for each. I am interested in a broad overview and in return for the data I'll total up responses and post results every few days for those that may be interested.

Appreciate your input,
Mr.Smith

Mr Smith: Twenty five years ago, I purchased a new Acer milling machine from J & L tools. It came equipped with new Acu-Rite readouts. The readouts died in a year and a half. I replaced them with Sony readouts and they are still doing great. Kind of pricey, but worth it.

JH

Mr Smith: Twenty five years ago, I purchased a new Acer milling machine from J & L tools. It came equipped with new Acu-Rite readouts. The readouts died in a year and a half. I replaced them with Sony readouts and they are still doing great. Kind of pricey, but worth it.

So I will assume this is 1.Acu-Rite 2.Yes 3.No and 1.Sony 2.Yes 3.Yes 2 data points. Post if I have misinterpreted.

O.K. here you go.
1. Fagor
2. Yes
3. Yes
Have 10 of them.

Perfect. 10 data points.

Keep 'em coming

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Same here. In the past I've also used Newell and Acu-Rite. They all worked well without problems. I purchased the Electronica mainly because of the price difference. It's on a machine that gets used on the average of 10 to 15 hours a week. I didn't need a $2,000.00 readout on a machine barely worth that amount. It's been in service 8 years and hasn't skipped a beat.

So far it appears everyone likes what they have. This is through post 13 and includes PM's.

Remember short answers. 1. Brand, 2. Like it? Yes/no, 3. Buy it again? Yes/no

Then add any other info you wish.

View attachment 292343

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Acu-rite, yes, yes
Fagor, yes, no (I'd buy an Acu-rite box and adapt it to the Fagor scales.)

I bought an Acu-rite DRO203 and Fagor Innova 20i at the same time for about the same price without scales. The Acu-rite is way nicer than the Fagor in terms of ease of use and display visibility. I also have an old Sony, which is fine for its age. I have installed and used the green DROpros units. They are OK for the price.

A few Mitutoyo's here.
Never turned off except for power failures. Mills, grinders, compartors, microscopes, we never turn off the readouts.

One PM box died at only 29 years old and would error upon power up after the lights went out one day.
One GML is getting dim and hard to read on the X axis after only 38 years of 24/7/365 so that one a bit disappointing and pisses me off but it's brothers and sisters still fine.
Never had a scale failure with MITs.

I'm sure the mileage will vary.
You have not stated what resolution you want .0005 inch,,0001 inch, one micron per side, better than that?
Be aware that lathes or od and id grinders are twice the problem of mills or jig bore machines..
Bob

Last edited:
On my Bridgeport: Sony. Been working for 40 years, no problems.

On my 16 x 40 lathe: DRO Pros. 2 years no problems. Wanted a SONY but too expensive.

Would buy either brand again.

Back