Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    I agree...my guess is that a cheapie would be even worse.

As for a DRO that includes the quill, I'd have to see the scale assembly to see how compact and unobtrusive it is. The Mitutoyo type setup is nice because it has no cables to clutter things up. I could see cables being a mess particularly as they'd need to be left long so the head and tip/nod.
    The nice thing about the mits unit is its simple...in use and setup. I've checked with jo blocks and it's pretty much dead on too. For value, simplicity, and accuracy I'd give it 9 out of 10, docked for the buttons lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a Mit for the X & Y and a Fagor X & Y for the quill and knee. Much better than a three axis, plus the Fagor has axis coupling. Save your money for a few weeks and do it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the Mitutoyo on the quill of my FTV-1 and very happy with it, aside from the already mentioned small display and buttons. When checking with Jo-blocks at 1",2",3", and 4" it reads + or - .0005"(basically within a single count of the least significant digit), but it took some fiddling to get there. I was having linearity issues, and found a slight interference between the mounting bracket and the control switch housing at the top. Like any other DRO scale, it has to be mounted stress free and dead parallel to the axis it's moving in. Had to lop off .150" from the top of the mounting block on the back of the read head, and the upper end of the Mit supplied mounting bracket. Then mounted the top of the scale to the switch cover, and used the remainder of the factory mount for the bottom end. Used shim stock so put the DRO scale parallel to quill. Tracks great now. Still running on the 1-1/2 year old original battery, and I forget to turn it off all the time.
    img_8912.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a 6'' quill scale from digital-readout.com, so far so good, they also have a remote one.
    Vertical Type Quill Axis DRO on Beidgeport mill | digital-readout.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since the OP mentioned the possibility of adding a DRO scale to the quill, I would suggest considering a magnetic scale instead of an optical scale for the smaller form factor of the magnetic scale on the quill.

On my first B'port I used a $30 caliper mounting kit and a generic import caliper - this kit allowed the removal of the caliper by unscrewing a couple of thumb screws with the upper and lower caliper mtg brkts remaining in place on the mill. On my current mill, I installed a 4-axis DRO (I'm a homeshop/hobbyist so for cost reasons I bought an import DRO) with the ability to sum axis on the quill and knee. I wanted to maintain access to the quill speed nut and the the ability to install the fine feed handwheel drove mounting the scale off to the RH side. With a small form magnetic scale there is still adequate room to access the nuts to tram the tilt of the head. I tried to sketch the brkts for mounting the quill but decided that was above my visualization skill and ended up band sawing and hot melting little scraps of wood together to build up the brkt mockups and transferred that to the parts that I milled to mount the scale.
    magnetic-scale-quill.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I ended up ordering a four axis DRO for this.