What's new
What's new

What happened to large machine prices?

18% buyers premium, 7.75% tax, you have to use auctioneers choice of riggers and they will not give a quote till after auction, due to covid 19 the pick up hours are reduced, yada yada yada.........

I'm watching a mill right now, trying to decide if its worth it for a $1:nutter:

18% buyers premium, 7.75% tax, you have to use auctioneers choice of riggers and they will not give a quote till after auction, due to covid 19 the pick up hours are reduced, yada yada yada.........

I'm watching a mill right now, trying to decide if its worth it for a $1:nutter:

Terms and Conditions like that lead me to believe they don't want your business badly enough.

Similar things can be said about employment situations.

As of June 5, a 13.3% unemployment rate and an economy shall we say ;- less than vibrant, ……...plus nobody's got any money for the things such machines ultimately produce.

Don't know, .but id they're unemployed they'll be skint.

I would bet its less than .1% of them... if you could find a talented operator and had the work you would buy the machine. Cash is still up there in Milwaukee making money with big old manual iron. And he posts a lot of him, on the floor, in overalls, working...

I've bought a few machines lately and they were nearly new and were giveaway fire sale priced. I paid $1000 for machines that cost $80,000 4 years ago. So far I'm up $12k with half sold and a buyer coming for the rest on Sunday.

I've found there's still a solid market for decent used CNC's, but the market for not under power, has to go in the next 10 minutes, etc, stuff is drastically different than it was a few months ago.

Last week I bought a 2017 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 for $200. It's burned to a crisp, but I'll make a grand selling just a couple parts to a core supplier. Trading a friend some stuff I could use for the "Max tow" 1180 rear end. Guy just had to have it gone and figured nobody was going to buy these days.

I did real well throughout the last recession and this is starting to feel real similar. Lots of low hanging fruit, but people are either afraid of the slightest risk or they're broke.

One of my customers offered me a big bullard recently and I passed. I offered to haul it off if they couldn't find anyone else to take it, but I didn't want to clog up my shop with 30 tons of useless right now.

I have seen used equipment selling for a little less but not much less here in California. Every thing is always over priced here.
Worst state of the union to do business in.
We purchased a couple of new machines recently and I was very happy with what the trade in value was on the old machines.
Our vendor actually sold the equipment wile still on our shop floor.
Central states and the east coast has apparently seen prices drop dramatically.

I would bet its less than .1% of them... if you could find a talented operator and had the work you would buy the machine. Cash is still up there in Milwaukee making money with big old manual iron. And he posts a lot of him, on the floor, in overalls, working...

You're probably right, BOTH there are still more machines than there are operators or work for them, therefore - give away $.

not relevant they ain't buying stuff
more worried about a roof over their heads and food in the belly
Yes, No, Maybe. We have some friends with small businesses who are trying to get reopened. They can't get employees to come back to work. The excuse is "Worried about Covid." The real reason is two adults collecting unemployment is enough to scrape by as long as the checks show up in the bank.

jack vines

Yes, No, Maybe. We have some friends with small businesses who are trying to get reopened. They can't get employees to come back to work. The excuse is "Worried about Covid." The real reason is two adults collecting unemployment is enough to scrape by as long as the checks show up in the bank.

jack vines

True - we have that to contend with as well, ...……….but it also means less money being spent.

2 lathes, a 2006 Lynx240 and a 2005 Puma220 went for I think $16k and $15K respectively last week. There were no manuals, no parameter backups, and the auctioneer wasn't allowed in the front office to see if they existed. Didn't seem to deter any bidders.

Barrels of junk material were going for more than the machines in the OP's post

barrels of junk.jpg

We were corporately forced to close a plant with precision 5 axis machines, older Milwaukee-Matics . Nobody wanted them, cost more to move they were worth supposedly.
Riggers came in, unbolted from the floor, wrapped chains around them an drug them outside, sold for scrap iron.
In another building riggers dismantled 6 30’ wide x 100’ long bed mills, all sold to other shops. Go figure......

Something about this auction doesn't pass the smell test, it was like nobody showed up. Two big Waldrich Coberg grinders going for a few hundred dollars apace just doesn't smell right. I have never seen a W-C grinder go for less than 40k, Or things are a lot worse than anybody thinks.

Here is the link to the prices realized page.Iron Horse Auction - DAY 1- Bankruptcy Auction of Infinity Rebuild, Inc.

That's crazy - a 5 ton jib crane going for ten times what a 30 ft " Waldrich-Coburg way grinder is going for ! Some decent electrical hand tools in that auction.

Regards Tyrone.

Back