What's new
What's new

What happens when you need a part and there is nobody there on the phone?

rons

Diamond
Connecting rubber hose to air coupler?

And the website says not taking any orders at this time.

Was trying to redesign a hose and coupler connection on a paint booth bulkhead. Just one more hi-flow brass coupler which I was not able to match locally around here a few years ago.

I can still do the job another way and replace all the couplers with zinc plated heavier ones that I have. And then all the fittings for the couplers will have to be changed.
Just brought this up because getting custom parts can make life less elegant if you can't wait. It would be worse if I needed their carbon vanes for the air pump motor. DITW.

The title was changed to: Connecting rubber hose to air coupler?

Last edited:
Attaching a hose to a coupler without using a barbed fitting.

The top black hose was crimped (in not such a great way) by Supplied Air Systems. The fitting is 1/4 European (high flow).
The middle and bottom is using a Devilbiss fitting. The hose is .375 ID and .625 OD. The coupler is 3/8.

Is there another type of compression fitting to accomplish this?

DSC_1042.jpg

Welcome to the Corvid world.

I would search for other sources. This is a situation I have faced many times, long before this current situation. Persistence works.

You can split the crimp collar with a die grinder (being careful not to damage the barb inside) and peel it off to re-use the fittings you have and replace the crimp ferrule with a simple hose clamp

spruewell, you don't understand the question.

Not trying to take apart the crimped black hose/brass coupler connection. Not trying to crimp anything.
Trying to build a hose/brass coupler connection using a compression connection.

Look up air line hose crimper on google. Plenty to be had for 20$-up depending on your needs. From hand operated to hydraulic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

try Mc Master carr
There prices are ok (not the best ) but they have a hell of a lot of stuff in stock and good website ,,

I did get what I needed from them in one day. And I was expecting that it was going to be made by the ChiComms. But "Made in Sweden" was better than I expected.
I measured a new hi-flow fitting with one that I had. They did not measure the same. The shank on my fitting was .040 shorter than the new one, which did not seat into
the new coupler without some Italian persuasion. So I am making a new fitting to match the dimensions for the new coupler. Also the profiles of the tips do not have the
same radius.

Was going to show pictures of everything but decided not to give the garbage trolls anything to look at. They can come in here and read this message and get nothing
except wasted time. Serves em right!

I loved the description of using a nut cut in half to crimp a ferrule over a hose assembly - I have actually done this over a decade ago and used a 30.06 shell casing as the ferrule when desperate after discovering an oil leak in a gauge line on one of my old GMC trucks . . . all from my farm shop at home.

The Garbage Trolls can have at it!!

billofmaterials.jpg

pushontohose.jpg

readyforcrimping.jpg

I cut an old lug nut as it looked like it might work out., I sawed it in half and then ground it to the right dimension

mightwork.jpg

Stuck the whole works in the vise to give it a squeeze

cheapcrimpter.jpg

Hey - that looks like it will work . . .

shouldwork.jpg

Turned out better than I thought it would and the fittings wouldn't pull out with over 50 lbs of pull.

nicecrimp.jpg

Finally - the reason why I went through all this hassle!

imhappy.jpg

The flex line from the block to the hardline going to the gauge . . . looks good and no leaks even after 20k miles . . .

I bought a coupler made by the Swiss. Had a stripe of red and blue on one end.
Probably to appeal to us Americans. The stripes came off with lacquer thinner.
Sure looked like anodize to me.

Idea for protecting your air couplers. Or, a way to punish your plastic drill cases from Precision Drill.
Drill a 5/8" hole (depends on hose) on one side case. The other side case goes on, goes off (like wax on,wax off).

DSC_1128.jpg

DSC_1129.jpg

spruewell, you don't understand the question.

Not trying to take apart the crimped black hose/brass coupler connection. Not trying to crimp anything.
Trying to build a hose/brass coupler connection using a compression connection.

Is there some reason you can't use a brass coupler with internal pipe threads plus a brass compression to external pipe thread fitting?

If you need to use fittings with hose barbs and you don't have the correct ferrule McMaster sells both one ear and two ear pinch clamps, plus the tool to squeeze them. Not as neat as a ferrule but that's what I used on my first shop-made air hoses.

Back