What's new
What's new

What the heck uses 1/2-8 LH 2 start ACME?

rke[pler

Diamond
Twice now I've found 1/2-8 ACME taps on eBay, and both times they show up as double lead taps. Now, 1/2-8 LH is pretty freaking rare (only used in a 10EE tailstock) but apparently double lead is not so rare as single start. So what uses the double lead?

Could be a double square thread form, at first glance they do look somewhat similar.

If that's the case, I saw a smaller example on a centrifuge in a lab once.

Could be a double square thread form, at first glance they do look somewhat similar.

If that's the case, I saw a smaller example on a centrifuge in a lab once.

Nope, these are labeled taps from North American, HW, etc. Either way it looks like ACME, with a tap the tooth form is easy to see and there's a big difference from ACME and square.

Best I can tell is that it seems to be used in some smallish CNC drives and such.

Well LH stuff can can lay around at a company for years. I know a guy here local who has some of the old Mohawk inventory...they stocked RH and LH of a lot of tools for customers, the accounts went away, the inventory lingered, the RH stuff sold over the years, the LH gathered dust. Looking at the stock 20 years later might lead you to think LH endmills were once very common ;-).

taps

When I was in the Navy we made 3/4-10 LH double start valve stems in stainless all the time. The taps would be used to make the nut in the bonnet of the valve. The BT's ( Boiler Tenders ) or MM's ( Machinist Mates ) would use a cheater on the valve handle to close and tighten the valve. If the valve leaked they would tighten until it broke the handle off.
I was a Machinery Repairman on tenders and we got to make all sizes of fun things like that.

Rick Hinsen

Pretty sure that the cross slide leadscrew on my Colchester Bantam is about that size or very close - and definitely a 2 start, left hand thread. I had to replace it about 10 yrs ago, and seem to remember it was something like this.

the inventory lingered, the RH stuff sold over the years, the LH gathered dust. Looking at the stock 20 years later might lead you to think LH endmills were once very common ;-).
Absolutely! Sam Mesher in Portland, OR, has the remnants of a large stock of WW II tooling. You would not believe the LH taps and drills, the odd-DP bevel gear cutters (bevel cutter tooth form is narrower than standard spur cutters), all sorts of stuff that would be hard to find if you were looking for it. On the other hand, anything that you might reasonable expect to use was sold decades ago! I spend a couple of hours pawing through their shelves of "vintage NOS" one afternoon, and didn't find a single thing I had any use for, although I did make a mental note that if I needed large carbon steel taps, there was a mother lode.

Think the Colchester is 10 LH 2 start.......I made one some years ago to renew the bronze nuts in a Bantam.....Anyway ,a suitable tap lives in every piece of silver steel---but take my advice and make the tap a long one with a transition from V thread to Acme ,or it will break cutting tough bronze.....Or two taps ,one V, one Acme.........................Tracy Tools in Devon ,England used to carry all the taps for renewing lead nuts in UK made lathes.

Back