What's new
What's new

What inserts will fit this milling head???

dazz

Stainless
Hi
Picked up a milling head from an auction but it came without inserts.
I don't know what inserts it takes.

Any suggestions??

IMG_8564.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

IMG_8568.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8567.jpg

That style looks outdated by 40 years. But on the other hand it looks like new.
I have zero clue what inserts it would take.

Yea that looks super old. No chipbreaker on those inserts.
Almost look like pieces of keystock ground to fit the pocket and drilled for a screw to go through but im probably way off on that.
There might have been inserts at the auction u got it from but i doubt youre gona have any luck finding those easily, even on the internet.

how do you know there's no chipbreaker on the inserts if there's no inserts in
the facemill? the wedges look to be forged or stamped. there're markings
pressed into the top . it looks like a turkey.

the arbor is probably fine- i'd just get another shell mill to fit it that
uses modern, inexpensive inserts, like SEKR or APKT .

Torx screws so its not terribly old. I have no idea of scale, but I can guess at the shape of SPG. Size might be 42X, with 4 being 4/8 or 1/2" in size, 2 being 2/16 or 1/8" thickness, and x being the radius in 1/64ths. But I don't notice any register to set the height of the inserts so I may be all wrong.

As for the chipbreaker, every facemill I ever used broke the chip at least once per revolution.

I'm not convinced that's even for milling. Super narrow insert gap with no z seat looks almost like reamer insert seats. It looks like the arbor has runout adjustment too which would support that theory.

how do you know there's no chipbreaker on the inserts if there's no inserts in
the facemill? the wedges look to be forged or stamped. there're markings
pressed into the top . it looks like a turkey.

the arbor is probably fine- i'd just get another shell mill to fit it that
uses modern, inexpensive inserts, like SEKR or APKT .

I thought there were inserts in it he just couldnt identify them.

From attached pictures, I think threaded inserts made from aluminium might be helpful. Although, You should also go for custom manufacturing who suffice your requirements for these inserts.

From attached pictures, I think threaded inserts made from aluminium might be helpful. Although, You should also go for custom manufacturing who suffice your requirements for these inserts.

Really ?

Why not post a picture of these "threaded inserts made from aluminum" that you recommend to the OP
for his pictured tool body.

Or are you just spamming for an "threaded inserts
made from aluminum" manuf. ?

Even if it makes NO sense.....

It looks like some sort of high positive square/rectangle insert would go in it, that's judging by the seat angle in the body. What I don't see is any type of stop in the body for the depth, if no stop the insert can be slid to any height? On second thought it might make it simpler to set the height of the inserts all the same without a stop?
Dan

looks like an SP something Square-Positive.

For example SPG 423 (not saying that is the correct size)https://www.travers.com/terra-carbi...ndexable-carbide-turning-insert/p/22-100-101/

Perhaps an SPG 634 so having a 3/4 IC size = SPG Carbide Inserts

Would back out the wedges so they are about .030/.040 outside the cutter body to see what thickness would fit. Then measure the depth with thinking how wide the positive insert might be with overhanging the wedge a bit to know what size and you should have, called the IC.

Likely you can buy inserts to fit with or without a chip breaker.

*That is not a Valenite Valuemill but value mills were designed so one would slide the insert up to mate zero with an indicator and then tighten the wedge screw at desired size.

Likely an Ok cutter to use or with a pkg of inserts to sell on ebay for perhaps $60 or best..

http://www.bescarbide.com/pdf/insert_catalog_sections/insert_nomenclature.pdf

Back