What's new
What's new

Niles Vertical Boring machine needs help

Organeer

Plastic
Hi, I have a Niles Deutsche Werke Vertical boring machine allegedly an A800 from 1976. It is in pretty good condition but I have a query on the counterbalance weight which is conected to the turret carriage. A chain runs from the weight, over a pulley and then around a sprocket on a shaft and back out over a small pulley and connected to a much smaller weight. The shaft which holds the sprocket runs along the back of the turret where there are two bevel gears which appear to be connected to something in the turret. What does this shaft do and what could be driving it and why does it drive the chain?

I would guess it's a mechanism so that the turret can move along the rail without the counterweight needing to follow with it. The counterweight just balances the turret head so the screw alone doesn't need to hold up 2,500 pounds or whatever weight it is. There may be a rack or something in there that turns the shaft as the turret head moves up and down. I take it the shaft does spin when the head is moved up and down? There doesn't seem to be a problem presented so far in your statements...?

Hi, I have a Niles Deutsche Werke Vertical boring machine allegedly an A800 from 1976. It is in pretty good condition but I have a query on the counterbalance weight which is conected to the turret carriage. A chain runs from the weight, over a pulley and then around a sprocket on a shaft and back out over a small pulley and connected to a much smaller weight. The shaft which holds the sprocket runs along the back of the turret where there are two bevel gears which appear to be connected to something in the turret. What does this shaft do and what could be driving it and why does it drive the chain?

That is a anti backlash device to keep the turret from dropping when tool is loaded and unloaded like if you were doing a interrupted cut. Keeps smooth cutting.
Good luck. Those are pretty nice machines.

Back