What's new
What's new

What kind of hoist do you have in your shop?

Edster

Diamond
I just bought a used 1 ton wallace tri adjustable gantry crane. It came with two northern industrial 1000lbs electric hoists. The hoists are newer but they are cheap pieces of s*it. I'd like to get a good quality new or used 1 ton electric hoist, but I don't know who makes a good hoist. I would like a chain hoist so I don't get stabbed by the slivers in the cheap cable hoists I have now. Any suggestions?

Wallace = nice score.

Unless you have cubic cash or get lucky on ebay, I'd just go for a chainfall hoist.

I've gotten 1/2, 1, 1-1/2, 2, 4, and 10 ton manual chainfall hoists over the last 5 or years, all are Coffing or CM, I think the 2t was the most at around $200 this being a NIB Coffing aluminum housing hoist. This isn't to gloat about what I hoist hoarder I am :D but to say you can do it too...time and patience and keep turning over "stones".

A Budgit is a very nice hoist. I have a Budgit 2T leaf chain hoist with a block/hook arrangement, with the leaf chain the hook will not flex sideways nicely. The regular link chain type might be better. I only paid $200 for mine but I have no chain bucket so I am unsure if the price is right on the Ebay budgit. :confused:

The chainfall is good when precise control is needed, like positioning an engine into a vehicle. I have the Mori lathe against the wall, and the Bridgeport in the corner diagonally. A single aluminum I-beam monorail runs a parallel centerline on the Mori and ends above the BP. El-cheapo Duff Lynx 500lb. wire rope electric hoist handles everything. A wooden cradle v-block allows the heavy 4j to be set right on height and then slid onto the spindle.

The shop is a standard gable "kit garage" 26"x32'. Lag bolts on every joist has been strong enough so far.

Have a Budgit half ton 440 volt 3 phase unit I can sell cheap ($50.00) if someone can use it. It's kind of ugly, but I think it works fine since I hooked it up to my 220 volt phase converter and operated with no load on it. Been keeping it in case I needed parts, but probably never will ( at least until I sell it! ). Thanks Jim.

Consider the weight of a hoist before you buy. I bought a Budgit 1000 lb. 110V electric chain hoist once and found it was nearly too heavy for me to lift up and hook into my trolley. I think it weighed around 100 lb. Then I found the effort to raise the telescoping legs of my gantry was too great for comfort. I got rid of it quickly. Budgit hoists were used all over the place at International Truck engineering, where I worked. I also saw many of them at the local General Electric plants. As far as I know they were top of the line. I think the newer hoists International bought were Demag brand, so I assume they are also good.

A similar capacity Aro air chain hoist can be lifted with one hand. You run a hose to it instead of an extension cord. They are good and expensive.

I have a Yale Little Mule 1000 lb. 110V electric chain hoist that I can lift with one finger, and I love it. But that is the biggest one they make. I use a couple of 1T chainfalls for heavy stuff.

Larry

I second the air powered hoist suggestion. I have both half ton and one ton units. With air power comes a much more compact and lighter package along with the bonus of variable speed. One can inch a load into place if required. Electric is either on or off. If need be, a simple block and hook assembly can be added to double to capacity of the hoist.

I too prefer air powered hoists. I currently have 3-Keller/Gardner Denver 1/2 ton roller chain hoists, 2-1 ton CM 110 volt hoists and 1-2ton Yale. I've been keeping an eye out for a larger pneumatic. For many years I used two 1/2 ton CM chainfalls for load binders when I hauled equipment. They wotked great!

Paul

CM Hoists are made in Damascus, Virginia. Nice small town in Southwest Virginia. About 10 miles from my home and shop town, Abingdon. CM Hoist is the main division of Columbus Mckinnon Corporation. After years of buying, Columbus Mckinnon now owns about all domestic hoist producers.

I worked as a manufacturing engineer for CM Hoist for 7 years. It's where I learned cnc machining, and especially Mazaks. Great bunch of people, and a great company. Been gone 10 years now.

The made in USA CM Hoists are built like tanks! Very over-engineered. The hoists will last for decades.

Greg

Have a Dayton (Grainger) 500# electric hoist I picked up for $45.00 at the local flea market. The nylon sprockets that the chain travels on were stripped from overloading. All parts to repair were another $50.00.

Runs off of 120V and is fairly easy to lift, but would also like to find a 1/2 ton unit. I am sure that Grainger does not mfg these units.

Go away spammer, it a 12 yr old thread:nutter:

No No !

Spammers are held in Hi regard here nowadays, Long time contributors are being banned.

Because spammers don't complain.

it's all about google hits, rankings, and MONEY.

Back