What's new
What's new

What kind of rolling mill is this heavy-duty roller?

CountryBoy19

Stainless
This is going up for auction locally, unfortunately, when I previewed it today, there were 10" of snow on everything so it was hard to tell what it was...

The motor looks like a big AC motor as if it's meant to run continuous; control panel has a "jog/reverse" button on it. Description says it has a speed of 50-1000 and lists the model as something that isn't a roller mill (it comes back to an Allen-Bradley switch model).

If it had 3 rollers it could be a sheet-metal roller (a heavy one at that) but there are only 2. The upper red frame is tied to a switch as-if that may be a safety stop that an operator would reach up and grab; it has had extensions added to it at one point in time.

Edit: for perspective, the rollers are about 24" wide and 7-8" diameter. The rollers are about 4 feet off the ground.

Attachments

• Roller Mill.jpg
    Roller Mill.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 411
If it had 3 rollers it could be a sheet-metal roller (a heavy one at that) but there are only 2.

I think you mean it would be a plate roller. Plate is generally defined as >3/16" thick. Were there others in the yard? It looks like a roll stand, but you're not going to do much with two rolls in line front to back, if it were driving something the rolls would be stacked. Might be missing the top roll.

I think you mean it would be a plate roller. Plate is generally defined as >3/16" thick. Were there others in the yard? It looks like a roll stand, but you're not going to do much with two rolls in line front to back, if it were driving something the rolls would be stacked. Might be missing the top roll.

Yes, plate roller is what I meant to say...

I didn't see any sort of accomodations for a 3rd roller attaching anywhere. The thing that baffles me is that, as it sits, it's driving something up and out or straight down, but I can't see how or what they would do with it.

No other similar equipment other than a couple lathes that look like they've been dumped by a forklift and a 150 hp rotary scroll air-compressor. This place has many big, old relics of years past that get sold-off from time to time. Unfortunately, they let them sit outside for a few years before deciding to finally sell them. It's a shame. I was thinking if this thing sells cheap it could possibly be converted to a plate roller with some modification.

Attachments

• Roller Mill2.jpg
    Roller Mill2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 174
It's a little hard to see the picture on my phone, but it looks like the rollers are next to each other? If so, I'd say it's a rubber mill for mixing rubber compounds as opposed to a calender for sheeting rubber.

It's a little hard to see the picture on my phone, but it looks like the rollers are next to each other? If so, I'd say it's a rubber mill for mixing rubber compounds as opposed to a calender for sheeting rubber.

Not going to say impossible but hard to believe this place would have that type of equipment... but ya just never know what they have from a by-gone era...

That being said, looking at the 2nd pic I posted I see those "guide-plates" sticking out a bit from the edge of the rollers a bit, as-if to keep things more centered on the rollers... man is that thing built STOUT for that type of work.

So, practicality of converting it to a medium-duty plate roller? Not worth the effort? I fully expect it to bring scrap price; guessing it weighs at least a ton.

It's a rubber or sometimes used for plastic mill for mixing.Has mill guides mounted on the arms at the sides and adjusting screws at the ends for spacing the rolls. The rolls are hollow and have rotary joints on the ends for heating or cooling the rolls. The rolls also are geared to run at different speeds to each other.

Used to crack corn, barley, wheat etc.

It is a grain processing roller mill. The rear roll is fixed and the front roll is spring loaded at a set distance from the rear roll, the gap is determined by the grain be processed. They are grooved to provide traction to the grain so it cracks on the way thru rather than get shredded. The grain is fed into the top of the rolls via a hopper and smaller metering roll or shaker, I don't see those parts.

This is part of a larger system of augers and hoppers etc.

Rolls are solid, chilled cast iron if its a decent mill.

Used to crack corn, barley, wheat etc.

It is a grain processing roller mill. The rear roll is fixed and the front roll is spring loaded at a set distance from the rear roll, the gap is determined by the grain be processed. They are grooved to provide traction to the grain so it cracks on the way thru rather than get shredded. The grain is fed into the top of the rolls via a hopper and smaller metering roll or shaker, I don't see those parts.

This is part of a larger system of augers and hoppers etc.

Rolls are solid, chilled cast iron if its a decent mill.

You sure? This is at an industrial maintenance facility and the rolls are smooth (with exception of the rust). That does give me the thought that if it went cheap it could possibly be used for such.

Maybe not. I magnified your pic.

I machine the rolls for feed mills as a side business and while it is very similar it is too open, not enough guarding to keep the grain inside and who would design a mill that drops the finished product on the drive motor? I retract my previous post.

Another note about the mill. The unit on the end of the motor shaft in the picture is a safety switch that instantly reverses the mill rolls if something or someone gets caught in the mill when running. Can't see it but there is some type of safety trip near the operator. More than one person has be caught in one of these ! :eek:

Auction ended today; a whole lot of iron and a good-sized electric motor brought $120 plus auction fee... if that person has a use for that they stole it. I was tempted to bid but didn't.

Same auction had a 150 hp IR air-compressor my dad was interested in but he balked when it went north of $500 because he was just planning to resell it. It sold for $555

Yes, That was what I was thinking because I did work in a place that had those, but they also had calanders which was the word that popped into my head first!

Back