What's new
What's new

What kind of tooling for a Davis keyseater?

I was always under the impression that the broaches had to have a slot or hole for mounting in these machines?
The set in this picture shows the smaller ones with a slot/hole.

https://hpproc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/davis-keyseater-brochure.pdf

I would need bushings( plain or collared ? ) of various sizes, but also that circular plate (indicated with Red arrow) that holds the bushing, because the machine has a rectangular slot.

Do I need Davis tooling or will Dumont or other brands also work? And are the cutters called broaches?
Do I need collared bushing or plain bushings?

Can someone tell me the difference between the Davis No.4 and the No. 5.

The bushings for hand broaches won't work well on a Davis. The large round plate clamps a given size bushing/guide to the table. You don't need a bushing for every size bore, as the bushing really guides and centers the broach to the table slot. The plate is nothing special. The broaches are not typical hand broaches. Suppose you could make an adapter to clamp them on a shank, but the broaches for a Davis have a hole that allows anchoring the end of the broach in the sliding head on the machine, and I'm not sure how a well a hand broach with taper ground into it would work. Dumont does make broaches specific for Davis machines.

You need broaches with a hole. They cut on the pull stroke and the back of the broach bears on the overarm hard insert for support. The overarm support must be adjusted so the broach when at the bottom of its stroke is taller than the overarm, or when it rises it will probably either break the overarm or the broach. You will see many of these machines with repaired overarms as a result.

The bushings for hand broaches won't work well on a Davis. The large round plate clamps a given size bushing/guide to the table. You don't need a bushing for every size bore, as the bushing really guides and centers the broach to the table slot. The plate is nothing special. The broaches are not typical hand broaches. Suppose you could make an adapter to clamp them on a shank, but the broaches for a Davis have a hole that allows anchoring the end of the broach in the sliding head on the machine, and I'm not sure how a well a hand broach with taper ground into it would work. Dumont does make broaches specific for Davis machines.

What are hand broaches? Like below picture ?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00309369

So I will need a broach like below?

American Davis Style Keyseating Broach 1/16 to 1 Inch and 4.0mm to 25mm Metric Sizes ID 752-

Can I get a Davis No. 4 compatible Broach from other manufacturers?

We have a Morrison. Works pretty good. One nice thing is if you need an odd size it is very easy to grind the next larger size to fit. The cutters are cheap and we have most any size but sometimes you run out of what you need.

Morrision also sells an adaptor to use small Dumont hand broaches.

Looks like Dumont got gobbled up by Pilot. Morrisons are ok for bores a little bigger than 3/4" You can get a Davis broach in a small bore where the cutter bar on a Morrison would never fit. I made a small cutter bar for our Morrison so I can make custom width cutters but its quicker to use the Davis for low quantities if its a standard size. Yes, Morrison does offer a broach adapter so that you can use Davis style broaches in their machine. Morrison cutters are about $65-$70 each if you purchase them. The Morrison uses a v-block centering tool and Davis made two sizes of their v-block centering tool. These fit in the center table slot on the machine via a key on the bottom side. The guide bushing for a Davis does not need to fit the bore of the part if you use the centering tool. The plate that clamps the bushing to the table is universal and can be used with a wide range of bushing sizes and would be simple to make up if you have a lathe and mill.

Back