What's new
What's new

Advice on steel selection

macchi7

Aluminum
I need to make some kickstart levers for a 1960's Italian Parilla motorcycle. Being Italian, they looked good but didn't last too long as the long "arm" of the starter was flimsy and small in section and not of the best quality. I am only doing 6 of them and was going to use EN36 which can be case hardened to make it strong. Unfortunately, I cannot source any EN36 in plate form as it is now only available in round section. The plate I need is 3" x 1" x 7" to make a blade which will be 3/4" in section along its length. (There is a bend at each end, hence the 3" width). Heating and bending is not an option due to one of the bends being 90 degrees and tight. I know there will be a lot of swarf, but this is the most efficient way of making a small batch as well as being an interesting project.
Any ideas what could be a suitable alternative? I did find some EN24t, but would prefer to case harden the 36, rather than through harden the 24. Any ideas for a UK based suppliers alternative? Many thanks
Gary

Last edited:
EN24 in T condition should be already plenty if the design is sensible at all.
SSAB Toolox 33 or 44 would be one potential pre-hard material also.

I would go for 4140 / 4142 pre-hard for non-stainless, or 17-4 H900 for stainless. Should last forever.

EN24T is pretty much like "prehard" 4340.
But 17-4 equivalent stainless could be nice as it wouldn't need any plating/painting.

I am going to go with the EN24 and get the hardening company to give it some extra "toughness" to resist bending.
Long term project, I dare not tell you how long I have owned this bike intending to restore it. Thanks everyone for the advice
Gary

Back