What's new
What's new

What Lint-Free Wipes do you recommend?

For wiping inside of spindle tapers, etc where lint must be held to minimum.

Hi drcoelho,
If a cleanroom wipe is of interest, these are what I use, in a 4" square: Berkshire VSLP.0909B.8, VSLP-Series Wipes ValuSeal-LP – 9″ x 9″ (Bulk) | Tools & Instruments Store; Large Selection, Great Prices [they don't seem to carry the identical product in 4 x 4] They're 100% polyester (bring back the 80's!), sealed edges and meant for high-end semiconductor and similar equipment cleaning.

For my CAT40 spindles, I run at ~75 RPM and (with all due care) just stick the wipe over my finger and into the taper, run it back and forth a time or two. Being small there's little risk of the wipe catching anything and causing an injury, but that's something the user would have to judge. A formed stick with a slot for the wipe may be safer for smaller tapers.

A similar product goes for $74/600pcs from these guys:
https://www.all-spec.com/Manufactur...bs-Wipes/Cleanroom-Wipes/MS1200-0404B-10-6509

If you're interested I can send a package for $35 and whatever the large USPS Priority envelope would be ($6? Need to check). These are in the original double-bagged cleanroom-ready packaging.

That goes for anyone else too, I've got more bags than I need (my original is still half full after years of use, they're good for multiple cleanings).
4x4 Cleanroom Wipes.jpg
4x4 Cleanroom Label.jpg

For spindle tapers, I was taught to use a clean finger, so you can feel anything that's in there. Clean the ol' finger up, and stick it in and wiggle it around. YMMV.

For spindle tapers, I was taught to use a clean finger, so you can feel anything that's in there. Clean the ol' finger up, and stick it in and wiggle it around. YMMV.

This needs a "that's what she said" rejoinder...

Aside from that, I prefer not to use bare fingers. If a sliver is present I'm much happier for it to embed in the wipes I mentioned rather than my skin. And I can feel a "tug" just fine through the engagement of the debris and the very smooth polyester sheet.

I use KimWipes. But after KimWipes I use clean bare hands unless there's a good reason not to (i.e. contamination). No substitute for sense of touch. One can feel a cloth catch a sharp edge but won't feel tiny loose particles with a cloth.

Last edited:
I have used a ton of the Kim Wipes (Kinberly Clark brand), but have also used other brands and apparently all were equally effective. As to which has the least lint, I really don't know. Perhaps someone has done a test: Google it if you will. But, for shop purposes, I doubt that it makes much difference.

It seems to me based on my research that the Berkshire products are pretty close to lint-free. That being said, I'll give the Kim Wipes a shot and see how that works out. Lots of great advice here, thx!

Back