What's new
What's new

What is this machine?

That was fast!

Shoulda asked you first - had an inkling you might know. :)

Videos on you tube are quite enlightening - & mesmerizing.

Thanks!
smt

I've never run one, or even been in a shop with them.

I have "laid hands on one" at Mckean machinery.....

Here is a thread on an indentical machine, with lots of pictures. Andre Bechler pinion cutting machine.

Very unique Andre Bechler pinion cutting machine | Page 3 | The Hobby-Machinist

bechler.png

Thermite, mechanical spiders fornicating, I would not like to get stuck in one of your nightmares, any relation to HR Geiger?, that’s tickled me for the week
Mark

Thermite, mechanical spiders fornicating, I would not like to get stuck in one of your nightmares, any relation to HR Geiger?, that’s tickled me for the week
Mark

I forget who actually STARTED it, but it crossed my eyeshot in print in the early 1950's and I still chuckle over the aptness of it.

Some wag had described a common sewing machine as a:

"self-fornicating device"

Well "if so?" then a four-slide ups the game!

And then we got into Ambrose Beirce "The Devil's Dictionary" - which is a stitch, even over a hundred years on... and the SEVERAL "modern" ones that affect our daily lives, today ,such as Stan Kelly-Bootle's "The Devil's DP Dictionary" and "The Computer Contradictionary",

Got's to keep your sense of humour when "Artificial IDIOTS" are constantly ringing your phone to sell relief for the Collitch Debt you never had, extensions on warranties for goods you never owned, "etc."

"Targetted Marketing?" by a computer with but one eyeball?
Blind from birth, off the back of the evidence.

Only so much a body can do to build dirty-beach-sand Artificial Idiots.
When they must still be programmed by genuine meat-idiots.

:(

A Bechler Simplex horological gear making machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_vkEisUo9k

Hans

Hans,

I own a Bechler Simplex, new out of the 1956 crate and I had the same thought upon seeing Stephen's machine. But it's not a Simplex, or at least like mine. In 15 years or so, I've never gotten further than freeing up the drawbar, though. So if anyone (a) wants to buy it or (b) has a manual for it, please do let me know. Thanks.

Ron Hofer

Hi Ron,

I'm certainly no expert on these machines; I just vaguely recognized the pictures and concluded (what with the COSA label) that it was European, probably Swiss, probably watchmaking. A little searching ensued, et voila: a link.

BTW, don't you just LOVE the name "Simplex" for such an intricate machine? (on edit, I just learned that Bechler registered the trademark "Duplex" in 1915 - at probaby TWICE the complexity?)

If your machine is different from the one posted, I suspect that Simplex was actually a range of (similarly complicated) machines?
Or yours is a later/earlier model? like I said, I'm no expert.

I would try the horological community, or maybe try to contact some people from the hobbymachinist link posted earlier: Very unique Andre Bechler pinion cutting machine | Page 3 | The Hobby-Machinist

Best regards,

Hans

Unfortunately, Stephen, it came without any meaningful manual, which is what stopped me from cleaning any further. The guy I bought it from sent me a pic of a toothed Roosevelt Dime.

Is that better? Worse? Makes no substantive difference?
Also, do you have any data on max pinion (or wheel) size the machine can accommodate?

Thanks!
smt

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

I'm certainly no expert on these machines; I just vaguely recognized the pictures and concluded (what with the COSA label) that it was European, probably Swiss, probably watchmaking. A little searching ensued, et voila: a link.

BTW, don't you just LOVE the name "Simplex" for such an intricate machine? (on edit, I just learned that Bechler registered the trademark "Duplex" in 1915 - at probaby TWICE the complexity?)

If your machine is different from the one posted, I suspect that Simplex was actually a range of (similarly complicated) machines?
Or yours is a later/earlier model? like I said, I'm no expert.

I would try the horological community, or maybe try to contact some people from the hobbymachinist link posted earlier: Very unique Andre Bechler pinion cutting machine | Page 3 | The Hobby-Machinist

Best regards,

Hans[/QUOTE

Thanks, Hans,

I fell in love with it when I first saw the two YouTube videos. It was hypnotizing. In fact, I think I bought it from the guy who made the video. As I recall, a small cache of BS's appeared maybe 20-40 years ago--new in crates. I was astonished at how well the crate was packed--oak crate, excelsior, the works. Even the bolt holding the machine to the bottom of the crate was fine threaded.

Thanks for the contact advice; I never thought to look to the horological community. The moment that the video convinces you that you need that device, let me know.

Ron

Back