What's new
What's new

What machines better HDPE or UHMW?

RJT

Titanium
My customer says either will work for this application, basically just a cradle to hold a part for assembly, but it has a tremendous amount of milling on it. I've machined UHMW but don't think I have ever machined HDPE. Which would you rather?

Anything is better than UHMW. HDPE will machine better, better finish, better dimensional control. Teflon is even better if that is an option. Might be too expensive.

I machine a lot of plastic for customers. Some of it I get a friend with some CNC machines to help. I like Acetal Copolomer. Really get a nice finish. Works great on CNC lathes too. I buy it on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above, HDPE machines nicer. UHMW is marginally more gummy, longer polymer chains, higher shear strength, tears.

Delrin is easy to machine. Over-specified by those who don’t care to appreciate other polymers IMO.

I've never noticed that much (if any???) difference between the 2 PE's
Same here. The machine doesn't even know it's there. I'd be very surprised if someone could distinguish between the two based only on machinability...

Used to use Nylon 101 as bushings to hold and support long steel tubes and held up fairly good. IT's cheap, probably does not hold up in comparison to HDPE. They all will fail from cold flow under dynamic or static loading if the loads are high.

Delrin is from the Acetal family of polymers. They machine nice as HDPE, but I suspect they are little bit more expensive. Haven't priced it in many years.

UHMW and HDPE are quite similar to machine; however on thick sections and

deep machining, the UHMW will warp much much more than HDPE.

Chose HDPESR (stress relieved) for those conditions.

It is also generally cheaper than UHMWPE.

petersen

Back