What's new
What's new

What Machines Easier - G10 or G11

markz528

Hot Rolled
Like the title says, what is easier to machine? G10 or G11?

Any tips on machining them? Only doing a few limited pieces but would very much appreciate any pointers on best practices around G10 and G11 machining.

Will be milling and turning operations. Used in electrical insulation applications.

Up th

I mill literal tons of G10 per year and have never touched G11. Without giving too much away, sharp tooling will give you the best finish on a mill. We don’t turn very much of it but I’ve never gotten particularly amazing finishes whether turning from plate or round.

"easier"? On FR4 / FR5? Neither! And the byproducts SUCK.

Mought be G10 / FR4 if you actually have a choice.

What the suppliers say is published. Ex:

G-10 vs. G-11 Machining | Vanderveer Industrial Plastics

That was very helpful - Thanks!

Actually could not find the dimensions I needed in G11 so defaulted to G10 but I think G10 is the right choice anyway.

Fortunately like I said I don't have a lot to machine and will sacrifice carbide tooling.

Spend the time to get a vacuum set up for dust collection. For either material, you will be creating glass particles from the machining process, which ideally get picked up by the vacuum before spreading onto the machine and machine operator. Use of coolant will knock the dust down, but has the unfortunate side effect of washing the glass into the nooks and crannies of the machine.

Glass laminates generally suck from a machining standpoint.

That was very helpful - Thanks!

Actually could not find the dimensions I needed in G11 so defaulted to G10 but I think G10 is the right choice anyway.

Fortunately like I said I don't have a lot to machine and will sacrifice carbide tooling.

What specfab said. It could be yer lungs as get sacrificed. Or fines and legal fees.

We went to a LOT of effort to shear then punch PCB's, and NOT drill or mill.

Hard on punch-pins, too, and still SOME dust, but the tiny ejecta slugs were a LOT less hassle to capture and control than drilling byproducts.

but has the unfortunate side effect of washing the glass into the nooks and crannies of the machine.

AND it turns your coolant into paste.
If you do use coolant, you'll be fucking with that more than you will be making parts.
G10 sucks, we cut a lot of it but can't use coolant. So we have been battling filtration techniques for a while now and still haven't nailed it. Next is getting a finer micron bag.

Back