What material is this brown o-ring?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What material is this brown o-ring?

I want to make O rings to replace this one on a gearcase. It's square cross section, measures .100 th. The color is brown which I'm not familiar with and don't readily find in cord stock. I've seen silicone is listed as red and it looks close to this color, but silicone is hard to bond together. There's nothing about this that would demand an exotic material, but I'd like it to look OEM for customer approval. Anyone here familiar with this?

20191121_130645-800.jpg

20191121_130446-800.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brown is most commonly FKM (Viton). If you measure .100" the standard cord stock size is almost certainly .103"

Is the application an automatic transmission? Viton holds up to ATF better than the more common NBR/Buna-N/Nitrile which is used in most oil-based applications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a brown Viton.

Looks like Pete beat me to it.
    Last edited by AARONT; 11-21-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Slow on the keyboard

4. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys, that was fast! I see Viton listed as black most places, are there different colors of Viton or is this considered black?
    I do agree it's .103 or 3/32 (or maybe 2.5mm)
    No, not ATF, just oil like engine oil. Does Viton glue OK with cyanoacrylate? The cord is about 55" long or 17.5" dia, To get them made is $25 each in 250 quantity so I'm stuck with making them 5 or 10X per year

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's different colors of Viton. Brown, blue, black, green are the colors I know of. I'm sure there are more.

As far as bonding with cyanoacrylate, it will bond fine.

7. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never seen black Viton rings, they've always been green or brown for me. The big difference is that they are stiffer, and have better chemical resistant because they are a fluorine base material. I believe we had a special adhesive just for Viton, but I seem to remember seeing people just use the cynoacrylate glue as well. I think a vulcanizing kit is recommend.

9. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's at least one product designed to bond Viton. Claim is "this unique adhesive is ideal for splicing fluoroelastomer materials and bonding rubber to metal surfaces." No experience with it though:

Fluorodyn™ Adhesive THA-3000 (made with Viton™) - Thermodyn Global Houston

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfalke View Post
    I think a vulcanizing kit is recommend.
    I haven't used MUCH of it, but yes. Viton was always heat-bonded for any real strength. Which this app may not be all that picky about so long as it is in a constraining groove.

Even so - how does the acrylate fare with oil plus-plus additives and contaminants?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Viton I usually associate with black and brown about equally, but it's the only thing I know of that is brown.

HNBR (Hydrogenated Nitrile) is what I think of when you say green. It also comes in red, like a burgundy/maroon color. And black.

Silicone is also commonly red, but it's more like a rusty orange red. It's also the easiest to get in a wide range of colors.

EPDM is sometimes blue or purple, though I've almost never seen the purple stuff, as black is by far the most common.

For NBR, Henry Ford would be proud: you can have any color you want as long as it is black.

Edit to add: for your application, I would imagine that a simple cyanoacrilate bond is enough if you're careful with it on installation. Don't forget to lubricate the ring with the process fluid! I'm guessing that since this is a gearcase that you're dealing with a static seal, partial fill and vented to atmospheric pressure, so if you're worried about it, orient the splice to the top where it isn't relied on, and start the install opposite the splice. That way, you aren't ever putting tension on it.

13. Likes n2zon liked this post